sick of how much would you charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Mar 2, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Everytime I get on lawnsite there is a new thread asking how much others would charge. As the Duke would say "it's gettin to be rig0ddamndiculous".
    I don't uderstand why people can't figure it out themselves?
  2. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I really don't care what anyone else would charge!It's what I charge that puts money in my pocket.....I agree,others should figure it out for themselves!!! :cool2:
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

And its usually described so vauge. And there are too many variables, location, proximity to other accounts, ....
  4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think alot of it is that people are too lazy to figure it out. :realmad: They get bid packages and say "I'll go on Lawsite to see what I should charge!" These are the companies that quickly go under because they don't know their own numbers. We should all start giving rediculously low numbers like "What would you charge to mow 2.5 acres?" Us: "Well, we charge $12 per acre with a 3% discount for early booking" That should make their trip a little shorter.

5. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

Wow!!! I thought lawn site was here so we can not only help each other but make sure we were all up to date on how things and pricing should be in the green industry. Maybe I was wrong! ;)
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

So how much would you charge :D
  7. chriscampbell

chriscampbell LawnSite Member

These kind of threads are here to help the new guys and/ or people who are seeking answers to questions. Some one in maine and someone in Flordia might have the same problem and maybe they can solve it together. Then with that community aspect those people that were helped can help someone a few years from now with their experience and knowledge. I have found this site and others to be great resources to help me grow my business. My 2 cents... chris
  8. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Derek and Chris. That is exactly what this site is about. If it offends you that people are seeking help or to just get ideas of what to bid, then just ignore it and move onto the next thread. That is the problem with people today. It is somehow easier for people to waste time bitching about something so small instead of just letting it go and find something else to comment about. If you don't agree, don't waste your time or anyone else's time posting a di**head reply. If you feel like giving the person help, then do it, but don't bash them for looking for some assistance!
  9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

It is definately a great site for exchanging tips and experiences, but pricing!? Every companies numbers are different. You may have a 1987 p/u truck w/ a hand mower in the back where as I may have a fleet of 2004 chevy 2500hd's pulling fully stocked enclosed trailers. Do you think the overhead is the same? NO. What I HAVE to charge for a lawn is much higher than you because my overhead is much higher! In other words, my insurance is higher, my labor burden is higher, my payments are higher, workers comp is higher, fuel expenses are higher, etc. YOU NEED TO KNOW YOUR NUMBERS AND NOBODY ON THIS SITE CAN ANSWER A PRICING QUESTION LEGITAMATELY. This same formula works for all aspects of landscaping. It seems as if people are not doing their homework before answering questions and expecting the people on this board to do it for them. Maybe they should institute a "JOB PRICING" forum and all the fly-by-nighters can put each other out of business.

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone looking for help pricing on a public forum is most likely headed for disaster, especially the way these guys ask it. They don't ask how to go about pricing something, they just ask for a number. That's idiotic for about a 100 reasons. The guys giving numbers to these people are not helping out at all. It's like giving a loaded gun to someone who doesn't know if the red means the safety is on or off.

Just like this industry is about as entry level as a job could be, the approach by many are just as simple minded.

I also like how nobody on here should respond to anything unless it is helpful or boasts someone's ego. The same ole' same ole' reply about if you don't have anything positive to say, just pass on the thread. Maybe what some of these guys need is a smart mouth comment or a slap upside the head. It's obvious they continually take the easy road in life. Do you think it's doing any good to keep handing them something without them working for it? I'm not saying to unload on somebody, but I will never help someone with a price. First of all, I had to learn the hard way, take my lumps, I'll be damned if I'm going to send someone else down easy street. Until I'm standing in the front of the classroom getting paid to teach someone, I'll give you every crap wrong answer bid I can. Bad attitude? No, it's called life, get used to it.