1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sick of name

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Over time I have grown to somewhat despise my company name. The name and related slogans get ripped off all the time in ads, on signs, in the yellow pages ect....

And then there is the confusion issue that comes up all the time. I'm forever having to correct and say NO not N.V. Lawn Service....ENVY Lawn Service! Then preceed to spell it out if I get that blank stare....E-N-V-Y....

Annoying really. I guess over time it's really been getting at me. I'm having serious thoughts about changing it. But I'm not sure I want to go through the red tape or explain the change...And then there is the issue of what to re-name it!

Am I the only one this has happened to?
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Time for a change!! I can understand how people would do the NV thing instead of ENVY.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just went through this over the last two years. I had my name for 18 years, and really conteplated about changing it before I did for that reason. It was for the better though, I believe. My original name was Joseph Lanscaping & Grounds Maintenance. Well as you can see, that was quite a mouthful, and alot to write, especially on a check (most just put Joseph Landscaping). Well, there were names I really liked, especially what I have no, that I've had in my head for years, and thought about it carefully. When I got into the fertilization and chemical, I brought it out as Ground Control, which was then a subsidiary of Joseph landscaping & Grounds Maintenance. I wrote all the pre-existing customers letters explainind what was happening. It was written like Joseph Landscaping & Grounds Maintenance is proud to present Ground Control, a high quality, personalized lawn care service, using the finest products available,....blah, blah, blah....
    Anyway, over time, I have just combined everything into Ground Control, andd have successfully made the transition over time, as to not be sudden, prompting the customers to wonder why we are changing. (Usually, customers will say. "Oh oh!") This may be an option for you, or not. This is just how it went for me. As far as red tape,... I just re-registered, paid taxes and insurance on both companies last year (Ground Control didn't make any money), and now Joseph is all gone. I hope this helps.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can change the name of your company and keep the old name at the same time. It's called a DBA or Doing Business As. My customers all know me as Richard Martin but my vendors and tax man know me as AM Lawn Service.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

N V--(sorry I couldn't resist:p ) change your name if you like.

but personally I think name changes are best to signify a "company change" like adding a partner or new servvice.

but it is no biggie in the larger plan.

as for the name thing and spelling it--I do it every time someone one asks me eventhough the last name is only four letters.

"now mr. N-V...who do I make that check out to?" lol.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

try putting this on a check PJ Binder Landscaping Contractor LLC
  7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got a catchy Co. name. I say keep it. Let the other guys come & go. Maybe you could add to your business cards, Co. shirts, etc., "serving _____ since XXXX."
  8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW, we have a fairly large lawn/landscape company here in thie louisville area. their name is ENVY lawn and landscape.

their slogan: Get green with ENVY!

EDIT: btw, we started out primarily as a turf managent company and basically everything turf. the name LawnSmith Turf Maintenance was chosen because of our concentration of turf care and that my last name is SMITH. but, as landscaping became unavoidable so to speak and knowing our name turns potential landscape customers away, we are thinking of changing to LawnSmith TurfScape Maintenace.
  9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

My Co name for 20 years is J&R Lawn Service. Named after my wife Joyce and me Richard but i get calls all the time can i speak to Junior.
  10. Lake Turf

Lake Turf LawnSite Member

When I started my business 3 years ago I wanted something simple. I live at the Lake of the Ozarks, which is in Missouri so when I came up with the name I wanted something simple but yet catchy. So I named it Lake Turf then here came the slogan..."It's your Turf Let us Take Care of it"

It has worked and still happy with the name.