Sick of old hags

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royallawncare, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

Today I got a call from a customer i signed up last week I could tell this guy was a potential problem he was the most picky guy ever he said he wasnt happy with the service and i missed trimming somewhere in the back in a way i am glad that he is gone because he was so worried about how everything was and kept complaining he watched us the whole time and seemed angry when he found out that we used stick edgers instead of a "power push edger" he had us cut it down to where you could almost see the dirt i felt like i was burning holes in the lawn needless to say when he called today he simply just informed me that he would either be continuing doing it himself or find someone else i replied with a happy "ok" have a nice day... Was this wrong of me? after i hung up i felt a little sad because i made it seem like i didnt even care about his business i am sure i could have talked him into letting us service his lawn for a couple more weeks but i felt no need i didnt want to mess with him. I didnt want to give the impression that i was begging for his work or i needed him... I think i could have atleast said i am sorry to hear you feel that way or something to that effect...What do you guys say when someone like this calls up or whenever someone calls to cancel?

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

I Say So Long Sucker ! Let Em Go.you'd Be Losing Money On Him In The Long Run Anyway.

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Guys like this are just impossible to get along with. I'm sorry to lose a job but some are just not worth the grief. We used to have customers that wanted their lawns cut at around 2 inches or less and we refuse to destroy someone's grass by cutting that way. We've weeded out or converted all of these people by proving that proper cutting height is 90% of having a healthy lawn.

4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

In the past I might have felt as you did but, at this point, I have learned to stand my ground and tell a customer how it is. If their is a valid complaint, thats one thing but, some are constant complainers you will never please. I have in some cases developed a "if you don't like it find someone else" attitude and it seems to have cut out a lot of the bs. Sounds like this guy would have never been happy and did you a favor. An "o.k., by" is all he deserved.

5. Tombigbee

Tombigbee LawnSite Member

Thats one reason why I went all commercial......

"Keep the lines straight and clean."

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever heard of PUNCTUATION.

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes: He HAS heard of " " and ... :)

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

My question is what do "Old Hags" have to do with this situation.?

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was wondering. Is "old hag" now a generic description for obnoxious people?

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I will not even work for "senior Citizens" anymore. Many of them have done the lawn themself for so many years that they are stuck in the ways in wich they have done it whether it be right or wrong. In my experience they are impossible to please no matter how nice of a job you do. This business is stressful enough as it is..... Why even subject youself to people who dont apreciate your hard work and quality job?