1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sick of scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrush, Jun 6, 2007.

1. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

wondering if anyone else has a prob with 48' advantage scag, execcive clippings, even when double cut, missed spots, bought new gator blades and still the same crappy cuts. For sale sign coming soon on this thing.
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

gator blades always give me a crappy cut in the lush spring growth. I only use them in the fall. Try using just the standard blades thats what works best for me with my scags.
  3. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

same here, both of mine work well just have to sharpen the blades at least once a week. I found that i get the best cut in 2nd gear
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 61" advantage and it does a good job with regular blades on it.
  5. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

Had a fixed deck once with small tires 1993 model went real fast cut great. BUT
    I hit a pot hole and the mower stoped dead and went HARD RIGHT I went over and my hand and chest hit the engine thing that spins at that time thy did't have guard.
  6. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Use standard blades wait till fall for the gators mine cuts great
  7. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I second that.
  8. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

I don't use gators this time of year, too much growth. late summer and fall in Colorado, at least the past two years. In heavy, or irrigated turf I have always found the cut quality to be on the poor side, imo
  9. Rottman

Rottman LawnSite Member

I have the tiger cub 48" advantage and I have tried to use the gator style blades in heavy growth or in the spring. Thinking that the clippings would get cut up more before the discharge. However you just cannot get a good crisp cut with them. I only use gator blades for leaves. I use regular or high lifts (not at the same time) and get a very good cut with them. You might want to change the setting on the front baffle and check your deck pitch also. Mine did not have a pitch, the deck was level so I changed mine to a front pitch.
  10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

You lean your deck?????!?!?!?!? Do you realize this gives an uneven cut. The middle blade is lower than the outer two if you try to pitch the deck to the front. What would your reason for doing such a thing be?