sick of summer yet?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Jul 9, 2014.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Daily heavy rains and super long grass is making it rough. My shoes are usually soaked with the wet grass and the customers that want that extra shrub trimmed as the rain cloud heads towards their property. I have talked to a few lawn guys in my area and they have had enough. How about other Florida guys?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

williams, you have been getting slammed with rain. Its not too bad this year in my area, Sarasota county, except for the humidity and high dew points. this past week, morning rains then I get the afternoon storms. You start sweating as soon as you walk out the door. Last year I was getting all the rain. I had record rain fall last year, one week was over 9 inches of rain. Counting the days to EOW already. Lmao !

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Not in Florida, but I was by June 1.

4. We are in the 10 week stretch. This is the time of year that separates the men from the boys. It has rained here every day if memory serves correctly. It is hot, it is humid. BUT, I have been getting tons of new work....so I don't want to complain much.

5. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

One of the better summers in recent memory here. Normal pattern afternoon rains 3 pm or later for the most part, only lost part of a day to rain out so far, last year we lost a week plus. Like Chris we are adding several new customers every week.

The "My lawn guy hasn't showed up!" calls have started earlier than normal as well!

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yep June felt a little hotter than normal. It felt like August with all the Humidity. Early or Morning showers didn't help.

BUT IT COULD BE A LOT WORSE.

We had a warm winter and a wet spring, the cattle are fat. As a Fert & Squirt guy, my yards are looking good with no problem etc.

7. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Yes, TDH (too darn hot) The Tropical Sod Webworms are going nuts here now also. The Tech's are complaining daily!

8. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not complaining, I really don't mind the heat. The only thing that sucks is I seem to be having a lot of setbacks that are keeping me from starting my route till about 11am so the afternoon storms are killing me. I'm sitting in the truck at one of my large accounts waiting for it to dry up so I can hopefully finish this account and a few more to finish out the day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Heat is not that much to me being stuck in a boiler or heavy machinery equip. welding in full leathers, long sleeves, pants dragging around steel toe and arch boots all day with 4to7 other welders cramped in there now that is hot and heat. :waving:

This is the time of the season where the wannabe's drop out of the business and long timers keep chugging.

:cool2:

10. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

I see October just over the top of this hill :) Oh no wait that is August......damn.