Sick of trimmers lasting one season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How long do your trimmers last and what type do you use? Last year I bought 3 brand new red max z2600 2-cycle 25cc trimmers and everyone of them is worn out. They are all getting new rings and freshened up right now. I am thinking of switching to a Stihl 4-stroke. I just want a capable trimmer to last more than one season. I am also thinking of leaving the guards on this year too. Any suggestions?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have been using nothing but Stihl lately and they last on average 2 1/2 to 3 years for me.

Have you though about switching two cycle oil? Maybe you are not mixing it properly?

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

better think again about any 4 stroke , the valves are gonna have to be adjusted quite often . i have all redmax and one trimmer is 5 years old . thats your whole problem the guards are on there for a reason . no trimmer was meant to be ran with 12" of line out all the time . trimmers are made to be ran wide open . with no guard you creating a greater resistance there for your trimmers run like crap or dont last long .
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have been using red max oil so that cannot be the problem. I mix it pretty close to what they require. I just don't think these 2-cycles can take 50 hours a week of non stop use for 9 months.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

the other problem is that when you take off the guards the exhuast gets alot of carbon build up . this is more than likely your problem
  6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have had great luck with Stihl and Echo. I have an SRM-2100, FS-85 and an FC-85 that are 3 yrs old. What type of oil are you using and what ratio do you mix it at? As for the guards... running the line excessively long will put more strain on the engine but I think the clutch would wear out before the engine. I don't use the guards on my trimmers and have had no problems so far.
  7. Primecut

Primecut LawnSite Member

I have always used shindaiwa. Solid durability and performance. I take the guards off, as well.
  8. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

Ihave been using Redmax for the last couple of years. No problems, of course I am solo guy so I am not using them 50 hours a week
  9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

This is the first negative post I've ever seen regarding Redmax durability. This leads me to believe something else or a combination of things is the real problem. The first thing that came to mind is that Redmax put out some substandard oil. I use Amsoil at 80:1 in my Redmax equipment. Several years on trimmers, no signs of fading performance.

Your statement about mixing the Redmax oil "pretty close" is scary.
  10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

1800 hrs of use per year on the little 25cc and the equipment ownership (equipment cost only) is something around .19 per hour. anyone know the repair-free life expectancy of that engine? i don't know, but my thought is that that's not unreasonable, but i have no experience with that amount of trimmer use.

i'll bet your guys dream that they're still trimming. :)