Sickle Mower cutting capacities?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by IMAGE, Sep 17, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Can sickle mowers cut up to 1" brush?

Can anyone recommend a good one?

If it can handle 1" brush, I am looking for one I can run off the 3pt pto of a tractor. It would be used for mowing road ditches, so must have capability to be offset mounted.

2. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the Alamo company. They make alot of the road side mowers that the state uses, and last time I checked their site they had a sickle bar mower. Alot of companies still make sickle bar mowers so you will have alot of options. But, they aren't really designed to cut brush, a better application would be cutting grass and weeds. Alamo has something like a sickle bar for their boom mowers and that is designed to cut brush rather than grass and weeds.

3. IMAGE

from midwest

ok checkin now. thanks

4. SuperDuty335

SuperDuty335 LawnSite Member

Image, the mowers in question are relatively easy to maintain, simple to use and simple in design. I've cut hay with these mowers but never "brush". If the "brush" has 1" fibrous stalks I don't think it is going to do very well. If it is primarily grass and weeds it is a good choice.

5. IMAGE

from midwest

6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

A sickle bar mower with the right knives and guards will cut 1" stuff without too much problem if it isn't a tree like an oak. Detroit Harvester made both side and rear mounts for Case, Ford, and IH for many years. If you get one, learn how to rivet as you will be needing thse skills. And get a second bar so you don't have much down time. Most side mount were 5' while rear ones were up to 7' in bar lenght.

7. look at one of these, they will cut a fence post in two.

disc mower.jpg

8. IMAGE

from midwest

Is that a disc mower? I saw a tractor with a rear mounted 'saw' that was cutting road ditches. It had three blades like a circular saw, but they were about 18" discs.

9. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

what u need is a flail mower. that would do the job for shure.

10. SuperDuty335

SuperDuty335 LawnSite Member

Yes, that is a disc mower and they cut GREAT. They will cut small animals in two with ease...don't ask...:cry: