Side by Side? What do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, May 27, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious how some of you all mow lawns that are side by side of each other?
    What I am asking is,
    do you mow both then trim, edge and then blow?
    OR.
    Do you treat them as if you had to load up and drive several blocks?

Reason I am asking is that I have several that are right next to each other and have done all the mowing then trim and edge and lastly blow it all off. This saves me lots of time but not sure if it looks real professional. Meaning from start to blowing off side walks and drive is no more than 45 minutes.
    Just looking for some input. Thanks.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ok this is my take on it...a lot of times I do all the mowing first for all of them, then trim and blow. But once in a while I will break it apart and mow,trim, blow each one and sometimes for some strange reasons it's faster. You will just have to try it out and see

3. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with doing that. About 50% of my stops are multiple accounts and I do them that way. It has never crossed my mind that someone would think it was unprofessional.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Treat 'em as one... I do the 3 houses you see in this pic.

5. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

We actually look for blocks of accounts we can do like that, saves so much time, but then again we have 3-4 on our crew. But I know a guy who does that, cuts all then line trims the blows them all off at once.

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

i have several in rows like that (2-17)

We usually drop the gate and mow everything, then trim, then blow.. On the row of 17, they are on alternate sides of the street but we mow 5-6 and then move the truck down..

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We treat them all as one big account, blowing them all together last. It is amazing how many people at condo associations get mad when you don't blow right away. They get out their brooms and are shaking their heads like we did something wrong, then smile and wave when we come by with the blower. The real question is, do you connect the yards mowing paths like the picture above, or do you stripe each in different directions?

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Unless a customer requests it... connect them. It saves a lot of time. If I were to cut these 3 yards individually it would probably take an extra half hour to forty five minutes with all the extra turns...

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I cut every lawn individually, by blow and string trim together. It looks more professional that way. I got one job that way, one company was doing 4 three acre properties as one. Well the one guy in the middle didn't like that, he asked them not to do that and they won't. So now they do 2 lawns and then the other one.

10. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I would mow all with identical stripes, changing directions each week. Then I would set dividing stripes on the property lines of each lot. This makes it look as if all were cut separately...Chuck