Side chute or not??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently purchased a used 1999 Scag 36" walkbehind belt drive for $600.00. Excellent shape paint is still very good. Needs carb rebuild, and grips. The guy put it away for winter and didn't try to start it until after he already placed the ad in the paper. Needless to say everyone was scared that it wouldn't start, but it was just flooded, so I got an awsome deal.

Any, the only thing that is missing is the side chute. Do you use it or just keep it in the up position anyway? Just wondering if I should buy a new one or forget about it and start mowing?
  2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

dont even bother... the're useless
  3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

They are worthless. Just be extra carefull of foreign objects in the lawn.
    I know side chutes still fling stuff out.. but not as far when theres none on.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

;) It does sound like you got a good deal.

The discharge chute is put on mowers to keep objects from flying out of mowers. It is aimed down at the ground. That is why no one uses them, either take off, or put in up position. This is something that really needs to be there, especially on commerecial mowers, with the higher blade tip speed.. :confused: If you try to be safe and use it the quality of cut is bad, you get a windrow of grass piling up on each pass. Thats because it can`t throw it out far enough to spread it out. :(

By the way I try to be as safe as I can but I keep it up to get the better cut, except when close to houses, etc.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I leave my side chutes on my mowers because I do use them sometimes when by the road or close to houses, dusty conditions etc... I just keep them in the up position and out of the way until needed. I'm not sure, but there may also be a liability issue about removing the chute. Maybe someone here can shed some light on the safety issue.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

the chute is the first thing i took off when i got mowers.
  7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Leave it off cause when your mowing the chute throws the grass in piles as you go. Without the chute it shoots it all over so it is evenly spread out. Unless dealing with high dust levels, go without one.
  8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

The chute will make a nice starter piece for an OCDC. Get welding man!

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I would never remove the chute. They are there for safety reason. Yes sometime I mow with chute up so that way the mower can spread the grass clipping out. But there are some places that I need to keep the chute down to avoid getting grass clippings on something such as the house and the car. Also to help reduce the chance of hitting them with an object.

If you are mowing near a $4000 fancy glass sliding door with chute up or without chute, you are taking the risk of hitting the glass with an object. So it is wise to simple put the chute down.

I always put the chute down when there are people nearby me for safety reason. Sometime I even stop and shut off the PTO until the area is clear. What if you are mowing without a chute and someone unexpected was nearby you, and you hit an object and if it hit and injured someone, they probably would sue you. If they find out that you did not have the safety device attached to your mower, it is easier for them to sue you.

This is one of the reason why you should never remove the chute.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

keep it on so u can play it safe around kids, animals,windows etc.also sometimes u ant to keep the leave out of beds etc.
    its good to have the option.