Side Discharge On a 36" Toro....Quality Appearence?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SUNSHINE LAWN, Feb 18, 2002.

1. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

Here is a question about side discharging with a toro 36" as i have not found much using the search feature. For the past several years i've been using a couple 2 cycle 21" toro prolines and have been pleased with their mulching appearence. However, i soon will be buying a 36" toro hydro w/sulky and i am wondering how well the lawns will look using the side discharge?
    My only experience with side discharge is on 21" lawnboys and it always looked terrible(dead, brown grass on top of lawns the next day). Will the 36" w/ side discharge cut grasser finer, or less mess on top of lawn? Why would side discharge be useful? Any responses to such simple questions are appeciated. Also, on a side note, it is sure going to be nice standing on a sulky vs. walking this year.

2. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i have 36" and 48" bunton walk behind and 72 ztr toro all side discharge
    i side discharge fine up till about sept/oct. side discharge is nice for the lawn its own fertilizer and you don't have to worry about dump fees
    the only reason i bag is for tall grass, extra leaves, or some odd reason the grass grew more than it should in a week and it was just easier to pick it up then run over it a few times.
    i find that if by the 4th time of running over the same area in tall grass if it still looks like crap, bag it.
    if the tall grass is wet and thick mow it once let it dry out in the sun the next day and pick it up.
    if you got anything else ask me, i some how get the customers that like to have me deal with their tall grass. I hate it, but it pays well.
    see ya
    bryan

3. fshrdan

fshrdan LawnSite Member

36" toros do a great job of fanning out clippings. Make sure you use a bungee on the deflector to keep it up and out of the way.

4. SUNSHINE LAWN

Ok, so the side discharge would be good for tall, thick grass but this mower comes equiped with mulch package. Any other reasons to use side discharge?

5. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i hate those deflectors i take them off, but watch for the tension on the spring. It hurst a lot when it hits you.

6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

knowing the prolines, lets say you have a lawn with thick, longish grass. using the toro 36"and side shooting it may result in some think areas of grass sitting on the lawn, but a quick blow will disperse them. cutting this lawn with the prolines will result in clumps, much harder to blow or double cut.

any lawn that the proline mulches clean will be clean after single cut with a side shooting 36"deck. i would imagine you'll be pleased with the cut quality too, less stragglers sticking up.

i know it comes with a mulcher, but our trimmers come with deflectors. i rip them off the first day i use them.

7. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have both the 21" prolines and the 36" mower. We do not have the newer SFS deck but the older style. Eventhough it does not mulch as well as the 21", it does a nice job of discharging grass. In the spring or in fall when there is heavy growth, sometimes we need to go over it twice. We do have some customers that want it bagged and we find blowing (discharging) it first and then coming back to pick it up with the bagger (Grass Gobbler) makes less material to pick up and bag. If we bag, we do charge a premium for this service. In most cases our customers cannot tell we did not bag. We have not used the Gator Blades or the mulching plates that came with the mower. We found the recycler inserts also tend to accumulate grass under the deck.

8. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Craig,

I grew up in Woodbridge. Moved to manassas this year and we will be moving our shop out to Nokesville. I haven't seen to many people with toro wb's in Woodbridge. Do you drive a white toyota? I think I may have seen you before.

9. SUNSHINE LAWN

Thank you for these responses, the info is very helpful. Now, I hope none of my customers will object to these larger machines on these 1/2 acre lawns. Most of the lco's in this area with crews are using 21" mowers, but they are not solo. Looking forward to the increased productivity, and having more energy at the end of the day from walking less, standing more!