1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Side Discharge or Mulch this time of year??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieNC, Jul 25, 2006.

1. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

Do you guys mulch or side discharge this time of year? And if you have an overgrown yard and side discharge....what do you do about the clippings???
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Side discharge only and if we get some build up I will raise the deck a bit and go as fast as the mower will go over it again. This sucks up and rechops the grass and it vanishes into thin air. Our lawns are to thick and grow to fast to mulch. All the other LCO's feel the same way around here. I have never seen anybody mulch in this area.
  3. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

side discharge, run over again for heavy clippings, blow for minor clippings
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

there it is :weightlifter: :weightlifter:
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I mulch...
  6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We side discharge and run over the lawn twice if necessary to spread clippings.
  7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I bag for spring cleanup and fall cleanup only. The rest of the time is all side discharge.
  8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Here is the best solution. If the lawn is 4 to 6 inches I sidedischarge the first pass to knock it down with gator blades. Then pull out my Lazer Z mulching mower and truly make the clippings dissapear into tiny mulch powder which also enhances your stripes.
    For you guys that just side dischrge .....How to you keep from erasing your stripes when you blow your clippings back accross your previous cut??? I have had this problem for yrs, and sometimes it takes a 3rd pass and still the results are worse than 2 passes with the above setup. Thanks