Side Discharge or Mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Aug 23, 2001.

?

Do you side discharge or mulch when cutting?

1. Mulch

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Side Discharge

37 vote(s)
    71.2%
  3. Bag

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you side discharge or mulch when cutting? Does side discharging leave a mess?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We side discharge most of our lawns.

By leaving the clippings nutrients are recycled and development of broadleaf weeds reduced.

Obviously if you dont pay attention to how far your units will discharge this can be a problem with debris getting into the beds and such.

Kris

3. casey

casey Guest

Try adding "bag" to the poll. We side discharge when turf is long & mulch in the summer.

4. kutnkru

Casey - just for the record according to "Industry Experts", thats backwards.

We are supposed to be dispersing the clippings during the heaviest times for growth, this way the lawns bilogical activity will breakdown the plant tissue and get the water and other valuable nutrients into the root zone where its most beneficial.

When the Summers heat/drought conditions come about, we are suppose to bag the clippings because with the turf in a state of dormancy their is less activity to breakdown the tissue, thus these clippings will lye on top of the soil layers adding to the thatch layer.

Just what they say.
    Kris

5. casey

casey Guest

Kutnkru,
    Not exactly backwards. I said side discharging in the spring. Bagging in the summer? Do you actually do that? Clippings add moisture in the summer during drought.

6. kutnkru

This season we have, and we are only down two cuttings for the year. There are some who have not cut in over 4 weeks because they cut too short to begin with.

We have been cutting at 3.5" since May, and only skipped one week this spring due to rain and last week because we were landscaping. :)

Kris

7. accentlc

accentlc LawnSite Member
    from Utah

My experience is that a good enclosed blade chamber mulching looks better than side discharge, unless the grass has not grown much. We mulch probably 95% of the time.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We side discharge 90% of the time.

We have a mulching kit for one of our eXmarks, but Matt hasn't put it on yet. He said he will for the fall.

The only bagging or mulching we do is with a 21 on postage stamp accounts or around delicate areas or flower beds if we must.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Side disharging is the only way to cut big yards fast,especially when its thick and tall,mulching is great unless you have tall ,wet grass.Every mulching mower ive seen is plugged up more than its not.

10. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

If I need to put the cage on i do, usually I dont need to though.I run mulching blades on my mower and it seems to really help. I'am thinking about getting a mulch kit for under the deck, still thinking.