1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

side discharge or mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith P, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Keith P

Keith P LawnSite Member

I'm wanting to upgrade to a rider next season. Do you guys side discharge or mulcl. Is there any situation where one is better than the other?
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

riding and mulching may be ok but walking behind my 48 lesco mulching is a miserable experience.

way too much dust for my eyes and sinuses.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

All of my accounts are side dis-charge. I have heard that mulching is great if it's dry but usually where I would like to mulch is when the grass is growing alot so it doesn't make much sense. Why? Because grass that grows fast, is usually lush so clumping would be an issue.

I have side discharged for over a year on all accounts and it's worked fine.
  4. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a OCDC. Best of both worlds.
  5. lwngrl1

lwngrl1 LawnSite Member

I have mulching kits on both my lazer and turf tracer. Its good if you can mow frequently and you have a lot of tight areas with beds, buildings on both sides. It saves on the clean up, but you are in for a nightmare if it rains a whole week.
  6. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I am also looking into getting mulching blades. Will they improve strip and how do they cut in a New england climate(can be wet and cool) most of my lawns are still growing regularly so dry lawns aren't a problem but What are the pros and cons of mulching?