side discharge out the rear on a 21?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dave80, Aug 28, 2003.

1. dave80

dave80 LawnSite Member

As stated in my other post, I have a Honda 21-inch mower right now. It can bag/mulch/discharge, with the discharge chute being on the side where they normally are. There is a spring loaded cover that is supposed to hold the chute down in place. The problem that I find is that when i go over either rough ground or a gravel driveway, the chute falls off from the vibrations. How do the units that use the side discharge chute out the rear (in place of the bagger) work? Some examples might be Toro, Exmark, Honda, John Deere, etc.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am a little confused...side discharge chute out of the rear?

3. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Hello, the rear discharge plugs are terrible & will easily Plug.

Use a Designated discharge Lawnboy or Honda.

honda um536.jpg

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

ULTIMATE, where are the rear wheels on that mower? The one with the plastic where the wheels would be.

5. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Hello, that would be a roller.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Hello, Okay then.

7. stevieraysod

stevieraysod LawnSite Member

My silver deck JD 14SB has the feature you're talking about. It's about as easy and trouble free as it gets. The discharge chute hangs off the rear frame of the mower and is held down by a spring loaded cover. It "traps" the top of the chute so it cant pop off, even in my roughest conditions. When you want to mulch, lift up the cover, remove the discharge chute, and install the mulching plug. Never had a plug up problem in ten years. It's also nice because the chute does not stick out on one side. You can trim in either direction easily.

8. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 jds,one shoots out the side,one out the rear.The rear one is 6.5'the other 6.75hp.--I prefer the rear,it clumps up LESS when wet and you can trim close on both sides.

9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Ultimate - those mowers are not sold in the states

10. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I had 2 Imported

honda.jpg