Side discharge removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FFMED74, Feb 18, 2004.

?

Do you remove your side discharge cover?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Yes, but replace it with another product

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Anyone here remove the side discharge cover? If so why and is it very danagerious to do so?

2. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I decided to take mine off my 44" deck b/c most of the lawns I mow have really thick grass and I would have big clumping problems. Also, my residential Timecutter doesn't have as high a blade tip speed as the commercial mowers, so I think it helps the clippings fly easier. I don't really worry about the danger b/c the only time I ever shot something was a golf ball and it flew straight for about 200 feet. And that was with the shield on!

By the way FFMED74, fellow firefighter here.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I keep them on. Im not taking any chances by taking off a safety feature on the mower.

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Mine flips up an lays on top of the belt cover. I just flip it down when I need it..

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Mine are always flipped up and held down with rubber bungy cords....
    Derek

6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

It was replaced by an OCDC.

7. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

goverment requires me to run mine. but i flip it up when i'm working else where. helps to spread the grass better, and vastly improves wet grass cutting when removed.

8. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with most of the posts above. I flip it up most of the time and just lower it down when there is a safety issue. I would like to put an OCDC on my mowers this year.

9. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Yup me, too. I have a bungee cord that will hold it up when I want it to stay up and the mfg. springs hold it down when needed.

Before the end of this season I'll probably have OCDCs installed on both my big machines.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

For what it's worth, take a look at the gear/pulley ratio of your timecutter. The ratio is 1 to 1.25. where the blades are spining 25% faster than the motor. Your speed on the blades is actually up there. My Timecutter 44" actually cuts pretty well. You might try the factory high lift blades for a better cut.
    DP