side discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kris, Jun 30, 2001.

1. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Let me start by saying that I am ignorant when it comes to Z's....I demo'd a ferris today....I am not use to the mess a side discharge makes...we use exmark walkbehinds(With Sulky's)and mulch kits.... I was very impressed with the speed etc but had to use the exmark to clean up the mess left.... how does everyone do it useing side discharge?..

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know much about how quick the grass grows in Canada, but in the MidWest all I do is Make a few perimeter runs with the mower so I dont blow all the debris on walks and the street. I also use the mower as a blower if I shoot the grass far onto the street. I dont understand how these Z's would make a mess. How did the Exmark clean up the mess?

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I'm sorry I was not clear... not the mess on the road or walks but a mess with all the clippings on the lawn... granted it was a little wet but the exmark mulched them up after with no problem.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I never used Ferris but I would say this is a sighn to stick with Exmark that is my choice. Maybe you should try a Laser Z.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

kris wrote:

I demo'd a ferris today....I am not use to the mess a side discharge makes..

I recommend that you demo another ZTR. The Ferris is one of those "finish" mowers that only does a good job in perfect mowing conditions. If you can mulch grass and not make a mess you should be easily able to discharge and not make a mess.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget about that Ferris!! They ride nice with that suspension system
    but have a very poor cutting deck. They need to improve their decks.
    They had a spot in the MFG. forum, but I see it's no longer there.
    They had a few posts with guys complaining of poor cutting & poor
    discharge performance. I would demo an Exmark Lazer and I think you'll
    see a huge difference in quality of cut & discharge. ED

7. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I try never to remove more than one-third of the plant when I mow. I use enough throttle to disperse the mowed clippings farther from my discharge chute.
    It's very rare, but sometimes when the turf is moist, the clippings will clump. I may make a second pass or blow them into the lawn with my backpack blower.
    Bill Craig

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Come cut some of this wet bahai...............you ain't seen clumping till you do!:blob3:

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

BILL ,what blades do you use in wet veses dry or have you found one type that will handle both situatinons well enough.laterTM