side discharge..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, May 25, 2004.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

just wandering if the guys who side discharge cut there customers lawns more often?? i couldn't imagine side discharging my customers lawns after i week of growth..

give me some feedback and tips on avoiding clumps and clogging while side discharging..

thanx

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

sometimes go slower, don't take as big of a swipe with the mower, and also you might have to double mow to avoid the clumps

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have to double mow when it's really high. Most out our customers we cut every 7 days so it doesn't get that out of hand. I still think double mowing is better then bagging.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It depends on your mower. I have rarely ever had to bag a yard with my Exmark. I mow my clients lawns once every seven days and have never had any issues with clumping or dispersal, even if the yard was wet.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I mow most of my clients once a week and side discharge and have never had any problems with clumping or dispersal. I use a Hustler Mini Z on them. I jsut took the guard off the discharge chute so the grass flies out farther than with the chute down.

6. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow once a week and mostly use the side discharge. If there is too much grass left over, I go over it with my blower. It only takes a couple of minutes, and takes care of any clumps the mower has left.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Every 7. Try for same day each week. During spring grow spurt had to double cut most and had to bag one (big pain- able to dump in woods). No rain here in almost 6 weeks so grass is real thin and dry. Single cut all last week and installed mulch kit back this week so I can go any way next to beds. Exmark Metro 48 with Gators gave me the smallest discharge, but if the grass is long I have to double cut so it will lay down in. The bag lawn was one that was big company fert. so it grew 8" in a week.
    As Woody said, flip the guard up and the grass will fly farther and not clump coming out. This is in central NC on mostly Fescue.