side discharging with high lifts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 12, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

weirdest thing happened. i had doubles on to cut wet grass last week. today when we resumed the mowing schedule i took the doubles off, sharpened the gators, put them on and went. first stop, blade doesn't want to engage, finally does, but is turning slow. belts seem tight enough, but i tighten the crap out of them anyhow. a little better, i do the two properties, they look bad, the blades are tearing not cutting, blade speed still sounds weak. not good. i go back get the high lifts, put them on, blade speed sounds a little better with high lifts, but still weak, but it's cutting much cleaner than the gators. can i discharge with high lifts? will this cause lawn problems later on?

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Over 4000post and you don't know if you can SD with HL?

What kind of "lawn problems" could you ever imagine happening by using HL?

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i imagine that perhaps because the high lifts dont cut the grass blades up like gators, that they may not decompose as fast.

4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Hmmm good question, Bobby. Not sure what to tell you on that.....you may not actually be able to trick the old ladies with your block-off plate on your bagger.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Right now Im getting better results with high lifts than the gators. Grass here has so much sap in it that the gators just want to clump

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've had high lifts on for over a year and side discharge with them no problems.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have never had a problem with running high lifts for discharge. I actually switch over to high lifts in the summer time

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Do nothing but discharge with high lifts,gators at this time of year don't work very well for us discharging,clogs the deck and lots of clumping.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I used the gators a few years ago for a full season. They just dont cut it:p . High lift blades and side discharge is all I do on my ZD21. I couldnt see where the gators actually chopped up the grass any finner unless you had a mulch kit on.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bobby, I run a high lift on the bottom and a gator mulcher on top when running doubles (side discharging). But the grass has to be DRY or severe clumping will occur. If the grass is wet, I will run only a single high lift.