Side dump trailer build!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by FerrisDiesel, Aug 9, 2013.

1. FerrisDiesel

FerrisDiesel LawnSite Senior Member

So after a year of planning and saving I finally have the time and money to go ahead and build my side dump trailer. I sold my enclosed trailer, and bought a 20' Big Tex pipe trailer from a member on Lawnsite. I then took my truckcraft 6.5' dump insert and mounted it on the front of the trailer. I used it like this for several months to make sure it was what I wanted to do. It saves me so much time loading the barrels in this way and dumping the trailer and not having to unhitch the truck to dump.

Here are some pictures of my welder building the box.....waiting for the weather to break so we can mount the box on the trailer and hook up the piston.

The box is 6' wide and 8' long and will have a drop down gate so I can back the mower up and dump in it. The gate will also pin on top so I can dump the bin.

2. FerrisDiesel

pictures of the floor, side, inside and front.......and my little monster helping me :laugh:

august2013 078.jpg

august2013 083.jpg

august2013 084.jpg

august2013 082.jpg

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I'm excited to see how this turns out, I keep finding myself thinking about a setup like that.

4. FerrisDiesel

Im a solo operation, so for me to have another truck and registration.....insurance....maintenance etc. I would have to be making alot more than I am making now. It's all about streamlining for me!

5. Porkins

Porkins LawnSite Senior Member

Nice. I've been wondering you were going to do it or not.

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What's that cost for something like that?? I was thinking about doing something similar to an older NPR

7. FerrisDiesel

All the steel was $1,400.00 which included 3" channel iron, 3/16"x 4'x8' sheets of steel and 2" angle iron for the supports on the sides.......I got the pump and piston for free and had to buy the remote which was $20.00 online. They sell a dump trailer kit online for about $400.00 I believe......A friend of mine is a welder and is fabricating the whole body soup to nuts for me for $1,000.00

8. Woodman1

Woodman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris,

This looks awesome. Please keep us posted! I am planning for something along these lines this winter myself.

9. FerrisDiesel

Got the tailgate finished up and gave it a test drive this week! Not as tounge heavy as I thought it would be.

20130821_091625.jpg

20130821_091405.jpg

20130812_170122.jpg

20130812_170127.jpg

10. FerrisDiesel

WE had to mount the piston backwards.....when I say backwards, I mean as opposed to the conventional way of mounting. The piston is mounted under the center of the body and pushing the front up. We could not mount it the other way because it would be pushing past the center point of the body, due to the length of the piston........it works great.....just need to figure out how to slow the descent of the body down, it drops pretty fast right now!

20130821_142459.jpg

20130821_142511.jpg