1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Side Gate On Trailers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landscaper3, Oct 17, 2000.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We were thinking of installing a side gate on our 16' trailer we have done some fab work on it rails wider,front is all enclosed with cages to hold mower decks and all gas cans, ttires and more.Our Walkers take up all the room without tilting decks up. But sometimes we like to take our 52"Toro walk behind with us and without tilting decks up Its kinda cramped I think a side gate might be what we are looking for. We do not want to buy another trailer this ones paid for and making money for us.
  2. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

My brother and i put some rails and a side gate on ours and its awesome to be able to just drop it and take the wb off without moving the ztr big time saver. Nice feature to have. here is a pic: more are at http://www.members.home.net/mane/mower sorry for the large size no time to reduce and upload

3. Mark_Christopher

Mark_Christopher LawnSite Member

NICE SET-UP!!!!!!!!

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Open trailers with side gates are great! Glad I did not go for an enclosed trailer a few years ago.

For my setup I never move machinery. ZTR on back uses back gates, 44" walkbehind comes off a side gate, 21" walkbehind just lift over the edge. I keep a 33" walkbehind in the center of the ZTR and bigger 44" that is used for fenced in backyards only, So another mower is already moved and being used to where I can get the 33" out without any double moving.

Edgers, trash cans, push blowers, etc, all fit here and there, easy to get to on and off etc..
  5. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the comp Mark.

6. Mark_Christopher

Mark_Christopher LawnSite Member

Where did you buy your trailer from, and was it custom made? Im looking to have some modifications done to my trailor (Another string trimmer attached, and a section where i can put sch 40 pvc pipe) Any info would help.. thanks!!!

7. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

i don't understand how a side gate will work. Everytime you need the mower on the side gate your gate is going to have to be dropped in the grass. Or do you park on the opposite side of the road so the gate lands in the road. I thought it is illegal to do that although.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Syzer, I noticed in you pictures you have jungle jim trimmer racks. I orderd a set at the expo in kentucky an am waiting for there arrival any day now. How do you like them so far?