1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Side Job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Aug 31, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

A customer that I mow for wants me to remove her metal shed in the back yard. I'm wondering if any of you have ever taken one apart and what I should charge. I was also wondering if I should disassemble it or use a saw and cut it up. Does anyone have any ideas about how I should do this?
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of metal is it. is it thick or thin sheet metal? how is it held together are the joints strong?
  3. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

how big is it?

theres many ways you can do this,its up to you on what way you feel it'll be the easiest,then get some money back from a scrap metal dealer.
  4. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

Many, many times my customers ask me to do side jobs such as this, and to make a long story short I usually do them for the customer. The main reasons I do this is #1 to make money (we are in this to make money) #2 it builds a nice relationship with the customer, and I have noticed it makes them very loyal to you, and not go shopping around, because they know who they can depend on, #3 to make money, #4 and did I mention make money.

Now to your other question, if it is one of those cheap metal buildings from Sears or Lowes, and she wants it gone, I'm assumeing it is rusted and old. So my suggestion is to take a reciprocating saw to it, and cut it up as quickly as possible, and haul it off, and make you some money. Good luck:cool2:
  5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

take a reciporcating saw and cut the top off first, then cut the corners, load it in the truck or trailer and take it to the scrap man for some lunch money..... should take 15 - mins tops and would charge 75.00
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. A sawzall with a metal blade will make short work of it.
  7. lordmaximus240

lordmaximus240 LawnSite Member

shred it and haul it....WEAR GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES:)
  8. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I was wondering if I should cut it up or disassemble it.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

DO NOT TAKE IT APART!!!! way too long
    If it is one of the thin ones you can fold it up and it will fall apart.
    If needed use sawsall-- and yes safety stuff.
    Now be carefull with price. Taking it apart is easy-- now what. How far to dump and how much. I would figure 1/2 a day project start to finish and dump fee.
  10. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

dump fee?,take it to the scrap metal yard and make money.