Side Line Work??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by meets1, Feb 6, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Anybody out there do "sideline work" to justify your "real"work?

And if so, do you guys incorporate that biz into your regular biz someday?

If not, what biz would you consider if you were looking at something different?

I have looked into stump grinding with a small WD unit from VerMeer but that cost alot of $$ to justify the few stumps that other tree guys can't get to.

Slow winter so just thinking of what else we could do!!

2. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

I make sure that my lawn customers know that I am a jack of all trades and master on none during the off season.

There seems to always be some one wanting a new flower bed or gutters cleaned but...

I have been busy this past week painting a rental house of one of my regulars. Other things along the way have been replacing a toilet, installing a storm door, rewiring a lamp and also cleaning out a storage unit. Its amazing what some of these regulars need done.

payup payup All you have to do is ask them. Word of mouth is still the most powerful advertising at your disposal.

3. mybabyciv

mybabyciv LawnSite Member

Along with mowing, I do a couple of side jobs in the off season. I am a computer consultant, amongst other lesser activites (farm work). I like variation and the oppotunity to try something new or different.

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I added complete property maintenance and repair to my logo and let my customers know that I do offer maintenance, repair, and small improvements to the buildings on their property.....I try to push as many of the maintenance and improvement items to the slow times

logo4resize.JPG

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My business is landscape maintenance and building mantenance. I also have rental properties which my company works on. I also sell real estate and work with investors to buy and than service property. We also service property for other realtors.
    Biggest problem for me is making sure that all is in the open. (we must disclose all) so the RE commission does not think I am cheating. But for just a single business that would not be a problem.