side ramp/gate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Jan 21, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Can anyone give me an idea what it might run to get a side ramp/gate put on an open trailer?
    Hoping to get a second, larger mower this spring and would like to be able to take smaller 36" off the side rather then move large mower.

Just a ballpark $$?

2. About $200 or so.

I did weld a few of them locked up for a buddy.

And I have a few problems with them.

1) You either open in the steet or the lawn.

2) They get in the way for a weed eater rack. Thats where i mount mine.

3) makes it hard to tie the mower sitting in front of it down.

4) weakens the trailer.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just giving you my opinion of them, and I did give a pretty good guestimate on the price to have one made. Around $60 worth of materials.

3. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Side ramps are great,just pull up to the job,drop the ramp and off you go onto the lawn and away mowing.........

walker on trailer smaller.jpg

4. bullfrog

bullfrog LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

Neat set-up Big Jim!

I enjoy your posts.

5. Now that's one of my problems with them Jim, You have to get off the mowr and put the gate back up to mow, or you open it out int the middle of the street.

Then you have to get off the mower and put it down to load back up.

Be nice to rig up some sort of remote to open and close it.:D

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I put mine on the curb side (in USA ;) ) TrimmerTrap is on street side. This is for safety, and efficiency. It is about 50" wide. If I had to do it again, I would have made it 55" or so. Its just a bit tight with the 48" SCAG only having about a 1/2" clearance when backing out. I substaintially beefed up the frame underneath, because you have to cut out the side rail, which IS a structural part of most trailers. It took me and my Dad, about 4 hours to fabricate and install this gate. It has the same 1/2" L Rod slide in pins as the rear gate. If someone can do this work for you for $200, jump on it! We had about 8 man hours into it, and thats without materials (which were free scrap!). Maybe some trailer shops have done many of these, and have the gates already made up, and they can knock it out in about an hour? Check with the trailer shop that you bought your trailer from.

Good Luck!