Side shoot vs. mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Feb 15, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys i was just wondering what people prefer doing, side shoot or mulch.

2. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We used to mulch, but most mulching kits do not work that well.
    Grass gets all clumped up, now we side shoot and it works so much better. just have to be careful about vehicles, people and beds not to shoot the grass at them. You'll have to find the right set of blades for your mowers that work best by not shooting to much grass like gators or mulching type.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Side discharge. Always have with no complaints.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer a mulch kit. For me it does a better job (mostly St. Augustine and Bermuda), even when damp. It just makes it alot easier to not throw clippings everywhere.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to side discharge. I use double blades or Meg-mows so it chops thins up and spreads them out really well. And the biggest plus is I can switch to bagging in no more than the time it takes to hang the accelerator on the side. I hope to add an OCDC this year so I have even more options.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I discharge. There's no way you're going to mulch and achieve good results around here.

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Side discharge with OCDC.

BobR

8. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I must be missing something because I can't imagine NOT having mulch kits on my mowers,unless,of couse,I'm bagging.Personally,I don't like to leave any cut grass showing when I finish mowing and that's not possible without a mulch kit.Also,leaves and other debris(unless it's real heavy)virtually disappears.Before installing mulching blades I could go over a lawn ten times and there would still be cut grass showing.Sometimes,if the grass is real high I might have to double or triple cut to eliminate all the clippings but if I cut weekly it just takes one pass.I have mulch kits on my JD mowers.

9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

ALLSTAR - You are not missing anything. Mulching works for you in your area of the country, Here in the North East 'I' find it easier and more productive to use the Side Discharge as 'mulching' really slows down mowing speed and in most cases results in turning the mulched clippings into mush. Not to say never mulch in this area, when the Spring flush of growth settles down and we get into Summer grasses mulching is an option just one that I choose not to use.

BobR

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its more about location and types of grass that play a bigger factor in mulching.