sideboard extensions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by two-niner, Mar 14, 2002.

1. two-niner

two-niner LawnSite Member

What would be the best (and safest) way to build sideboards on a dump box (for leaves, mulch, grass, etc.)? The box has steel, 14" sides; and it has sideboard extension "brackets" but they only go up about 6" on each end. The brackets do have a hole big enough for about a 5/8" bolt. I thought about using 2 X 10's, maybe 3 high on each side, held together with 2 X 3's, then bolted into the brackets.
    I'm just not sure if the 2 X 10's will be too heavy.

Am I on the right track or are there some better ways to do this?:confused:
  2. Commander

Commander Banned

How big of a dump box is this? If you want them to be removable and you don't mind spending a little bit of money, go talk with a welder. They will do up something very simple and very nice for you. If you want to just do wood, then basically just take a piece of plywood, whatever size you need. I would suggest that you get something at least 1/2" in thickness. Then take a few 2x8's or whatever you feel you need. Surround the perimeter of the plywood with those guys. Then slide the wood into your sideboard rails and drill the holes where they need to be. I am assuming that this is for a dump truck?
  3. two-niner

two-niner LawnSite Member

Thanks for the idea, Commander. About how much do you think it would cost to have taller brackets welded on, so I could simply slide boards into place or remove them as needed? The box is 11' x 96".
  4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally don't like plywood as much as something like 2x8s. I made some for a little trailer I have. I cut some 2x4s for each of the slots, and screwed 3 2x6s to that leaving a small gap. I angled the tops of the 2x4s to make it look nicer. This is all green treated lumber by the way. Here are some pictures of it: