Sides for my flatbed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by captaingreen, Dec 24, 2008.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I bought this F250 with the flatbed on it. I pull both a gooseneck and my 16' tandem with this truck. I would like to put some sides on the bed either expanded metal, wood or steel? Not really sure but I want it to look clean and proffesional. Any pics of projects anyone may have done or reccomendations would be appreciated. Merry Christmas!

2. captaingreen

Here is a picture to help out.

12-09-08 212.jpg

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

What do you wanna put in the bed? or do you just want some side boards?

4. captaingreen

Maybe a little mulch sometimes or rock if just a little is needed. Mostly will be small amounts of debris while out mowing, leaves, pruning clippings and small stuff.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Expanded metal will look kinda awful. I would use wood, as it's pretty easy. You could also use steel. Jason Rose on here has a Dodge, flat bed dump, with steel sides that he made for it. They are probably the best side boards I've seen on a flatbed dump, but they will be a LOT more time consuming to make, and they won't be as easy to modify in the future.

6. Junior M

I agree, expanded metal will look like s#it. I would go with wood, but thats just me, I see metal as heavy and hard to make yourself. and I think wood would look alot better, plus its probably cheaper..

7. captaingreen

Ya, I saw the Lowe's rent a trucks with expanded metal hinged sides, looked ok but I think it would be rusting and probably broken fairly quick. I think wood may be the way to go. Does Jason have a pic of his setup on here somewhere?

8. Junior M

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

10. captaingreen

Thanks for the link!