1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sides on pickup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnBoy89, Oct 28, 2007.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys...I have a truck that I want to put sides on that bed of the truck. Next year a hoist will be going in this truck to make the bed dump but until then I atleast need sides. This truck is strictly for work as I have another for anything else I just can't really figure a good way to have sides on the bed of the truck so I can fit more stuff back there. I want to make them about to the height of the cab, I want them to be solid, not spaced like some that you might see. I figured a couple guys on here probably had this done...let me know, thanks
  2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Is it a regular pick up? Buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood, rip it down the middle, bolt on some pressure treated 2x4's, drop them in the stake pockets and youre done. Theyre not the prettiest things in the world but theyre the cheapest and easiest.
  3. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the crab potters around here do this to carry more crabs.They do the same as what redsox4life said but instead of plywood they use alum diamond plate.
  4. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I never put any on but I want too someday... I think the plywood would be you best way.
  5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

2 x 4's won't fit in mine...I tried using 1 x 3's I had to make them skinnier at the bottom but they don't feel like they would be strong enough..
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

You could try making sides out of expanded metal ans frame it with 2x anlge. Kind of like a cage with no top and yes it might cost abit more but it will last longer.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey just put sides on the F250 i will get some shots for you. The material was $48.98 for the wood. All pressure treated i had to cut the 2X4 down to fit. We used 1X6 deck boards.
  8. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I did mine like this on my 3/4 ton Ford. 5/4 Decking, 2x4's and wire mesh.

9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey JohnsonLawn Those look real nice. Is it hard to strap down things with these on a truck?
  10. jawila

jawila LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I just built sides for my truck. I used 2x3s and osb board.
    I still had to rip the 2x3s to fit in the slots. Then two bolts in each post to attach the osb (don't forget washers). I attatched another piece of osb on the front of the new sideboards with some angle iron mounted on the inside of the corners with bolts. I also attached some rope hooks (upside down) to the posts to hold a tarp over the top. Simple, easy, cheap.