1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sideswiped!!! Aaarrrggg!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Jul 14, 2003.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Just minding my own business today. Just finished my last account for the day. Had been raining for a few minutes on thr road and I'm rounding a corner I've traveled a hundred times.

In front of me I see a car careening out of control with his wheels pointing the opposite way that he is traveling.

Bam! Hits me on the drivers side and knocks me up off the road.

Oh...did I mention I had ALL my equipment on my trailer too?

Got out and walked around for less than a minute and fainted flat on the ground...how embarresing!

Tow truck finally got there...told the paramedics I did NOT want to go to the hospital!

So how many days do you guys estimate I'll be with out my F-150? Prudential is apparently going to pay the claim. The kid was found at fault- driving too fast for conditions.

Any thoughts?

2. J-mike

J-mike LawnSite Member

sheppard, did you get hurt?
  3. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Ache all over. Plan on giving myself 48 hours to find out where all the real pain is, then I'll hit a chiropractor (sp?).

Banged my knee when I fainted.

If his Ins. Co. pays everything I'll start to feel great real quick!

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Take two aspirins and call me in the morning.....LOL

Glad you are OK! I am sure the equipment will be ok soon enough too!
  5. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Go to the hospital and get checked out !!!
    The kid was found at fault. His insurance has to pay medical bills unless your state is different from mine. I am not saying to invent an injury, but you could be hurt and not know it yet. The fact that you fainted should be a clue that your body was dealt some sort of trauma.
  6. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that but I'm glad your okay!
  7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i agree. it is better to checked out now.
  8. lawnman250

lawnman250 LawnSite Member

Glad you came out ok. Hope your truck and equipment weren't messed up very bad. However, if you are aching now, you will be worse tomorrow. If so, be sure to go to the hospital and get checked out. Like others stated, the other guys insurance will have to cover your costs unless your state laws are different from mine. Since it was your work vehicle, their insurance company should be required to rent a vehicle for you to use in the business until you settle the claim on yours.
    My wife was on the way home from planting pansies for a customer one evening in the fall of 2001, a lady pulled out in front of her to turn left and my wife t-boned the lady's car in the driver side. Wife was in a 1/2 ton Dodge 4X4 truck, she was in shock and thought she was ok that night and didn't want to go to the hospital. The next day, she was sore as can be and could not move her neck or turn her head at all. I took her to the emergency room and got her checked out, found out she had a bad case of whiplash and a mild concussion. She wasn't able to work or even drive the whole winter. She still has trouble with her neck and frequent migrane headaches as a result. Doctors say she will have these problems for the rest of her life.
    So by all means, get checked out. You can replace the truck, but it won't do you any good if you are not able to drive it.
    Hope everything works out for the best for you, keep us posted.
  9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

As a former EMT, and a person who is currently involved in a lawsuit over an accident where insurance won't pay...

My advice is to get checked out at the hospital.

If there are physical problems later because of the accident, you need to have it on record that these injuries are from the accident.

Just quit being embarassed and get checked!!

It's better to be safe than sorry!!

Also, don't let your insurance company get away with anything. Make them pay what your claim is worth. If they try to short change your claim, talk to a lawyer.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon!
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm glad to hear you are ok, but you need to get checked out. I would go see a doctor first thing tomorrow. His insurance will pay for all of it since it was his fault. Also, I wouldn't worry about your truck make his insurance company get you a rental until yours is fixed. Just take it easy for a few days.