Sidetracked today...but thats o.k.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green-Pro, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We went out today with a plan- mow a few lawns, not a heavy mowing schedule but a few none the less, trim some hedges at two different props, then on to one more to remove some old stone (cinderblock) border. I had every intention of getting done early enough to get to the city to pick up some King Block (retaining wall) and border stone.

The pics show the sidetrack that put me behind a bit. The city called me and asked me to mow these lots at this subdivision. The contractor is supposed to mow them but obviously has not. 19 lots I gave them my minimum price $25 x 2 (they had to be double cut hence the charge $50 per lot) One pic shows employee on the tiger cub out in the taller weeds, the pic where you can barely see the mower is pretty much what all was like. I ran through with the TT &deck all the way up, he followed at 4".

Great day for the team :cool2: I can stand being sidetracked like that :)

-Geoff

IM000387.JPG

IM000389.JPG

IM000390.JPG

IM000393.JPG

IM000394.JPG

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, but NO Way I would have put my Z's through that kinda strain for a measly 50 bucks each. I wouldn't have even considered it for less than $100 per lot...but that's me

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

From the look on your employee's face I'd say he wasn't enjoying the experience as much as you were...

4. Green-Pro

Mike,

I've had my scags through this type of stuff before, no problems. True enough these machines were not built to do this day in and day out but once in a while they can handle. Besides the lots were nothing but weeds no obstructions or trash whatsoever.

Measly $50 per lot is pretty good in our area, remember cost of living here is much lower than you east coast boys, so with that in mind your $100 price per lot would have me sitting really nice here compared you getting $100 there.
    So heres what you do send me the extra $50 per lot and we'll be square o.k. :waving: LOL

-Geoff

5. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Thats what i was thinking but i would have went 100 for the bullshi* plus my normal cost on top and to have to drop what i had planed for the day boy that city must have you by the bal*s

6. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

Wow. No wonder I never get any county contracts. With prices like that, I don't see how you have any time to do any sidework.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You take CHECKS???? :laugh:

Yeah I agree they'll do it and I have too it's just that it is so much extra pull on the belts and the spindles that I just make 'em pay for it, so I certainly wasn't knocking you for doing it and I agree $50 in Iowa is probably not the same as $50 even here in Greensboro.

8. Green-Pro

To tell you the truth by the end of it nearly three and a half hours, neither of us were but at nearly $300 per hour with the bonus he received we both thought it was worth it. One time deals from the city and banks have been very profitable for me besides my regular gigs.

Thats fine for you but as I said our cost of living here is much lower than all these folks that live in metropolitan areas, consequently you will get what the market will bear, here this is what it will bear.

-Geoff

9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

cost of living here is dirt cheap also but that only in this town if they call it that i live in . That just looked real "tall" but still and you only get 25 if there not a jungle some of them look on the bigger side

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Greenpro, I agree with both sides. That was worth more than 50 bucks BUT in my area,like yours, it would have been around 45-50 also.