sidewalk crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Feb 9, 2005.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Is their a demand for work for a dedicated sidewalk crew? Im thinking for next year to be a sub for a few plow guys or work for commercial sites that need special attention to walks. dont want to plow cause all i have is a half ton and not ready for the expense of it all.
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

grassyfrass, I had inquired about this a couple/few years ago, and I had a few guys say that if I was in their area they'd hire me right up!.

It seems that a lot of plowers don't want to deal with sidewalk stuff, so if they had someone reliable that they could either hire or sub to for sidewalks, they'd be able to take on more larger commercial sites that have a lot of walks.

If working for someone else, you're not going to make the money a plower does, or the money you'd make if you went out and did it on your own, but I did hear numbers anywhere from $20 to $35 an hour for a snowblower operator or ATV w/plow operator.

If you have a lot of small driveways in your area, I'd suggest trying to get some of your own customers doing their small drives and sidewalks with your snowblower. I'm sure you can make better money working for someone else.
  3. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

Thats all my company does. We started about five years ago, and have grown every year. Most of the properties we handle, have underground parking with very short driveway entrances. The other ones are residential and the driveways take very litttle time. St. Louis has not had very much snow in the past few years, but we always get ice. That is even better money. We use shovels and fertilizer spreaders to apply the ice-melt. I have found that properties with more sidewalks than parking areas, are easy to get. The "snowplow" guys do not want to touch the work. To warm in the truck I guess.
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Those prices are sinful. The sidewalk guy needs to be out in the weather, sometimes all day here in a lake effect event. The plow truck guy just sits in the truck - yes, it is tiring, but nowhere near as physical as shoveling all day.

I charge over $50 an hour, and always turn business down. No competition - no one wants to move butt out of truck cab. And some of the plow jockeys charge half what I get for the outdoor work.
  5. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer LawnSite Member

I sub out to a bigger company and do sidewalks on my Big Bear. I'm with groundskpr in the fact that if it was $25-35, I'd stay home. A lot of those nights are really wet and cold.