1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sidewalk edgeing

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mventrice, May 4, 2011.

1. mventrice

mventrice LawnSite Member

ok so i just got a sidewalk edger. its time to put it to work and make some money with it!
    how do you guys charge for this service? i have a few customers with sidwalks and patios that i know would love to have this done.

all my customers have never had this done so i would be cutting the first edgeing. do you charge diffrentley for re edgeing in the future?
  2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I will take the bait on this thread as I know it will cause some fluctuations of answers.
    I own a combi attachment edger for my Stihls. I have used them 3 times in 2 years.
    I know that most LCO's use an edger for the tough grasses like fescue, st. auggie, zoysia,etc. but with a good powered line trimmer I don't need an edger. The only times is for customers that think grass is supposed to grow over the curb.......but not too often is this a problem.

To answer the question direct, past threads have stated charging by the linear foot.
  3. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

LOL. You've never edged any of your customers' driveways? I'm sorry but then how is it possible that you still have those accounts?

Edging should be included in the price of mowing. So should string trimming and blowing. If it is way overgrown and hasn't been edged in forever then either charge more for the first time or if you are trying to gain them as a long term customers then you might have to suck it up and bite the bullet this time and not charge extra for that and it will be all easy after that
  4. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Edging is included in my services. It's not an extra.
  5. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, charge more for the first time if it hasn't been done before. Then include it in your price for mowing. Once you get a good cut in, you'll be able to clean it up with a string trimmer most of the summer.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

When mowing I include it in the price of the mow.

When doing landscape maintenance, I'll throw it in for free just as a courtesy if the job I did for the customer was a reasonable sized one. Basically if I did a 4-5 hour shrub job, then a 10 min sidewalk edging will make the place look that much better and it's no skin off my teeth.
  7. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

In Bermuda country here in central arkansas, in many cases edging needs to be done more often than mowing. It's included in my base price. If the customer signs up for the summer, I don't charge extra for the first edge. If it's a one time mow, and they lawn has never been edged, I'll add an extra 10-15 to the estimate.
  8. Big Jake

Big Jake LawnSite Member

I'm with you Gravy Train, here in NWA it normally has to be done every week. Not a big fan of burmuda at all.

To answer the question though...Its part of my standard service. I actually pride myself on very good edges.
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

The first edging can be a real P I T A so make sure you charge pretty decent. I'd go for $1 a minute or more. Keep in mind if it is real overgrown you could be cutting off strips of grass that are a few inches wide. You are going to have to pick all that up and take it away cause it's going to look like crap if you just kick it into the yard and mow over it. Once the first edging is done, it will be much easier to maintain the edge so I would just work it into the price of the service. If you dont have a powerful edger a very overgrown edge will give you some trouble.
  10. PrimoSR

PrimoSR LawnSite Member

Included in our my pricing, it just make everything look so clean. I look at it this way; what if they turned it down b/c it costs more then I wouldn't happy with the way the property looked when I left.