1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Edger Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mike Johnson, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson LawnSite Member

I have a walk behind Sears Edger. How can I get a 1 1/2 inch wide cut? Will I have to first cut beside the sidewalk and then move over the width I want? Or can I buy a special blade to cut the width I want in one cut. Thanks
  2. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you want to cut so wide?
  3. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson LawnSite Member

We saw this width in Mexico at a resort and it looked very good.
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Can you get a little closer to what you want by adding another blade or a thicker blade? I am thinking that you will bog machine down if you go as wide as an inch, and that the safety cover will not be effective as you will have to remove it.
  5. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Ive seen the same cut at a resort in Mexicon on my honeymoon. I think the only way to get that cut is good ol back breaking manual labor. They must be on their knees scraping with a shovel or pick axe or something. I could't figure it out myself, but i really doubt you could do it with a regular edger. I'm gonna look through my pics I took while I was there and see if I can find some that has the edging in it.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

most walk behind edgers can cut it, you just have to angle the cutter head. Yes, it will cut the grass at the same anglebut it will also cut a trench along the concrete about an inch or so wide.

I can't tell you this, its really NOT what you want to do. I guess if it's your lawn, you can do what you like... That dirt strip along the concrete is a breeding ground for weeds! The closer you can maintain good thick turf up to the edge of the pavement the better off you will be in the battle of the weeds.
  7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned before you're inviting more weeds. In addition what if some little kid gets their bike tire stuck in that 1 1/2" wide rut you made and wipes out. That's an invitation for a law suit.
  8. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree about the weed infestation, but another thing to consider is the erosion issue. With the expading and contracting of the soil around the concrete depending upon the temps, this will only create an avenue for water. This could eventually cause deterioration of the pavement, sidewalk, etc. Not to mention the simple fact that PSU brought up, a question of liability if someone trips b/c of it.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I've seen edges done like that, and it is awesome. I can't figure too many better ways to cause a twisted or sprained ankle, and have the inch wide open crack fill up with weeds and crabgrass that have to be controlled.
    Let's face it,...we know it is a matter of opinion, but I don't feel that it looks THAT good for all that. I think a properly anicured edge with a fine line is much more lush looking.