1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk edging overgrown places who are not mowing clients. Price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Jun 7, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the only LCO in my 70,000 population city who offers FREE sidewalk edging to regular mowing customers. About 85% of the other LCOs don't even own a sidewalk edger. 90% of the homes don't have it done and are overgrown very badly. I advertise free sidewalk edging for mowing customers yet all I get is people calling now and then for sidewalk edging only. I used to eyeball it for the price but I think I'm not being very accurate with the estimates. I was thinking of going to a price per foot system. I calculated about .15 to .20 per foot and it seems reasonable enough they should not utrn me down and I'd still be doing OK. I can't believe these people stick with the kind of LCOs who runs 48" Walkers in a 2,500 Sq. ft. yard. I have a ZTR but I use it only on large places. I always do a really nice job on small places with the 21" but these people only see it as the $5 or $10 cheaper price and someone shows up with a ZTR and does it in 3 minutes with no trimming or blowing. I'm normally there about 20 minutes but it looks 100X better when I leave.
  2. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

danm man, are you sure their not residents cutting those yards. cause thats how home owners in our area cut their lawns. they dont edge blow, or trim. how do they stay in business???
  3. the angler

the angler LawnSite Member

i get a few of those calls my self ......i charge 1.50 a foot ....and try to sell my services at that time , tell them if they were a regular customer edging is done every other visit for FREEEEEEE sometimes yoiu get the job sometimes you just get over paid for some edging
  4. striper26

striper26 LawnSite Member

Man, I can't believe a lawn care business that doesn't edge! here in Texas its usually included with the price of the yard. You would get the boot here if you didn't edge.:walking: