sidewalk edging price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by randy2625, Aug 4, 2004.

1. randy2625

randy2625 LawnSite Member

whats a good price for edging 800' of sidewalk at a apartment complex i mow. keep in mined i only have one stick edger.

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Time how long it takes you to edge 10 feet of gnarly, overgrown side walk, multiply by 80, and you have an approximate time frame... Then punch in your hourly rate, and go from there... At least that's how I'd do it... Good luck on it..and God bless you..

3. CoastalEmpire

CoastalEmpire LawnSite Member

I'd rather hedge overgrown elaeagnus than edge. I hate edging. So I'd charge alot for 800ft! that's almost 3 football fields long. fuh-get dat

4. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

If it ain't grown over onto the sidewalk then edgeing 800' shouldn't take much longer than walking 800'.

If it hasn't been done in a long time then it might take an hour or so to do. Whatever an hour of your time is worth.

We edge everything everytime we go. I have a car lot that probably has a 1/2 mile of curbs..........do it every week to 10 days.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is no way of telling. How far overgrown is it? How much material will you be taking off? How THICK is it? If it's overgrown, there is no way you're going to do it at a walking pace - especially with a stick edger. If it was ME doing it, you'd see me with a good wheeled edger and a spare blade and wrench sticking out of my back pocket. The cleanup time is what adds up. The edging is the easy part. Don't forget your hauling and/or disposal. Just a guess, but if it os a light to moderate amount of material, for an initial edge, you'd be looking at around 20 bucks per 100 linear ft. for that amount to be done all together. (pro-rated)

6. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

$45 an hour , may take as long as 6-8 hrs depending how overgrown it is. i just took on some crap edge work that took me 2.25 hours for almost 200 ft.

7. benb0808

benb0808 LawnSite Member

I'd charge a quarter per foot...800X.25=200. Sounds good to me if its just a one time edging. I edge with a trimmer every time I mow and just include it in the price.

Ben Baumgart
    B2 Lawn Co.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

You may want to rent a larger edger for that job. I don't think the actual edging is the time consuming part......its the clean up...

Derek

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

if its overgrown, rent one of these. this is what i have and use everyday....... I love edging with this, the more overgrown the better. and when its not overgrown, I've actually been able to run with this. This is a Kee Trailmate