Sidewalk edging rant...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Sep 15, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

For the life of me, I will never understand why someone will run a trimmer along the edge of the sidewalk, at about a 45 degree angle, and taper the edge of the turf so it's scalped where it meets the concrete.

Looks like absolute ass. Now I know why I use a stick edger.

Before you slam me, I just gained an account for next spring(neighbor to a property I currently service) for that VERY REASON.

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you , guy - it is impossible to edge with a trimmer , no matter how good you are . Stick edgers make a perfect line that really sets a lawn apart from those have poorly defined edges. We edge every time - if its not edged , its not finished.

3. fiveoboy01

Well let me clarify something so the trimmer-edgers don't yell at me.

I'm not talking about holding the trimmer head 90 degrees to the concrete and edging that way. I think it can be done and look decent, I've tried it on my own walkway, but I'm slow and it doesn't look the greatest.

I'm talking about the edge scalpers. Ugh. Everytime I see someone doing this the word incomptent idiot comes to mind.

4. gaither

gaither LawnSite Member

I might get blasted for this but as far as i know i have never seen a stick edger on a truck in Nashville. I see a dozen plus trucks a day and have never seen one being used in this city. Like i said someone may totally disagree but that what i see.

5. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

In florida its standard to use a stick edger. I have never seen someone do a trimmer edge unless home owner. I personally will never never never never use a trimmer for an edger it just looks bad

6. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

I AGREE i just took over an account and they have a gullly alonr the side walk. i have a stick on top of my to buy list because i do not like that look plus it is unsafe, you can turn an ankle on the on i just got. i do it with a trimmer but only till i get one i usually edge if its my original edge if theres a gutter i then shave the top so its not so spiky. how do you repair gullys dirt and seed??

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

yup florida uses edgers, plus everything gets edged everytime we show up thats how fast st. Augustine grows. I use double blades to make a wider cut and a lot of guys do indeed hold the edger on an angle and give it a tapered edge.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Every lawn company I have seen around here holds it at a 45 degree angle to make that tapered edge. I have yet to see a LCO stick edging.

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I agree with you. I hate it when someone just obliterates an edge and scalps it down with a trimmer. I edge with a trimmer, my choice. I prefer the control and speed I get with a trimmer. Personally I think it looks straighter and more kept than with an edger, and my clients agree. I have had skeptics because in the past they have had guys use trimmers to edge and they did just scalp the edge down, but after they see the kind of work I do with my trimmer, they normally get the hint. I have tried edgers and they just don't work well enough for me. The only disadvantage I have found with using trimmers to edge is you have to be really careful when it is windy, because the wind has a way of blowing around the trimmer head.

10. fiveoboy01

Do you do it too?