1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk Edging Styles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Jun 11, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

I edge all my residential yards straight vertically at a 90 degree angle. I have this one guy who keeps giving me crap about edging at 45 degrees and I politely refuse.

Personally I like 90, and I use a stick edger so it is much easier. But it is easier to blow grass off the walks when it is 45.

How do most of you guys edge walks?

Maybe someone should set up a poll, since I don't know how.
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure about the angles, but I edge at 90,straight up and down, I dont bother with zoshia, its to hard to edge. Some LCO's don; even edge because its been so butchered and it looks worse to edge it.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

to tell you the truth, ive never seen anybody edge at 45 degrees around here. i myself and everyone else i know edge at 90 degrees. i just use the stick edger and head straight down the line of the sidewalk or bed.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I use a regular push edger in the spring. Then, to
    maintain it, I spin the string trimmer upside down
    and walk backwards at a 90 degree angle to re-edge
    on each visit. Keeps a nice clean edge every time.;)
  5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I hold my stick edger on a slight angle, not 45 deg though. I like a wider edge.
  6. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I edge all walks and concrete drives at 90 degrees by walking backward on grass and holding trimmer straight-up. I trim street and asphalt drives at a little less than 90 degrees by just walking normal with trimmer held in front and on side.

I like the results of the 90 degree better but its rather dangerous with the many rocks that break loose on the street and asphalt drives:cool:
  7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I don't like the angle method because its much easier to burn and kill the grass along the edge, then it looks like crap (IMO). I like a nice straight vertical edge.
  8. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

I agree with you Guido, any angle burns the grass, 90* is the correct way.
    I seen way too many out there walk along with string trimmers edging as fast as they can trot with putting an angle on it because its faster and or its just eassier to do, thats what I call: An anybody can do that job, Looks like crap, unfortunatly home owners dont realize it nor see it or dont care,
    I will be posting a new thread on quality workmanship and pride, soon, what I experienced yesterday turned my stomach,

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

90 Degrees
  10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Round-up Pro...1" wide.