Sidewalk Sleever

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by h20 guy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. h20 guy

h20 guy LawnSite Member

Likes and dislikes of the Sidewalk Sleever by guys that use one, worth the money? Thanks

2. MrMow

MrMow LawnSite Member

I have had great results. The 1" X 60" or so paid for itself the first time I used it. The 1" 8 ft is kind of tricky in that it will dive or vear to one side and miss the target hole. It's not the tools fault. It's all in the preparation ie the trough / starting hole and aiming the thing. Otherwise it worked great also. I have never used the 2" but would like to try it soon. Rock or concrete is the enemy!!!! I've had bad luck sending class 200 irrigation pipe into these conditions. We fixed that by using sch 40 instead. I wish there was a 1.25 or 1.5" so you could put through 1" irrigation and wire.
    Obviously the longer or larger something is the harder it's going to be to drive it. And the worse the soil/rock/concrete the harder it's going to be as well.

3. Mr. Bow Raker

Mr. Bow Raker LawnSite Member

Great tool. Not sure about the cost, cause ours was homemade. We have a Ditchwitch Rotowitch and had an extra boring rod laying around. (had a bad coupler end) Welded a sledgehammer striking surface on one end and a point on the other. Sch.40 slips right on. I don't know about anything larger than 1". Seems like it would be pretty tough to drive it. We use a 15# sledge.