1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sidewalk therapy

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mark B, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I just started a large project for me, since I am working full time. I am using a total of 80 kitchler LED fixtures. But the kicker is the 71 sidewalks I have to go under. I project is 8 different commercial buildings. I started the job this weekend. I am getting fairly good at going under them, as they are not the normal width, they are 54" wide with some that are wider. For the most part this is a simple project other then the sidewalks.

I have been using the long drill bits that you can find in the electrical dept at home depot or lowes. I found they have an extension for them. I did find out they will come apart, the set screws came loose. I will be trying a 10' piece of thread rod tomorrow. I hope to post pictures when it is done.

Oh in case you forgot I have the sweetest FT job in Cary, the project is 2hrs away from home.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

71 sidewalks..... Makes a 20k job jump to 30k real fast :laugh:

If your using those drill bits I guess your not sleeving? Largest bit system Ive seen has been 1". (as for something sold at lowes)

Take a bunch of pics. Something we dont do on here enough is install/repair pics

3. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

71 is a ton of labor and time. I'd look for a boring contractor to sub out. Work smarter, not harder.

4. Mark B

I am not sleeving them. I do not think there is no need in sleeving, due to the fact they are only sidewalks. I have gotten fairly fast at doing them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

I was under the impression under a sidewalk must be in pipe? Maybe its a jersey thing
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mark B

If this was irritation then I would put the sleeves in. But since it is lighting I am not. It only takes a few minutes drilling under the sidewalk. The sidewalk is not going to crush the wire like it would a pipe. The only bad part about going under is having to dig out and deep enough, before I can drill under the walk.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Under a sidewalk only needs to be 6" under top surface, no pipe or conduit required.

See Wire Burial Depth Codes.

8. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

Sleepy, we love pics of this project. Even if they come from a cell phone.

9. Mark B

They are on my phone. I have not put on my computer yet. All the wire will be in beds no grass on this one. Mark
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Steve,
    I read your link to the burial depths. First, as a newcomer, I didn't know it was code to bury 6" deep. I thought 6" depth was merely a good practice.

Second, do you know why the code calls for 18" under a residential driveway?