Sidewalks, Sidewalk Sidewalks

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by diggerman, Sep 15, 2000.

1. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Is anyone doing a large area of consentrated sidewalks,possibly for a government agency? I have several questions.

A) What equipment is being used?

B) How are the charges being figured?

C) How were they being done before you started?

I already do a large number of sidewalks but am interested in hearing how others are figuring this aspect of their business.I am thinking about Holder or a Trackless,or maybe even a Suzuki Samuri with a blade,anybody have any experiance with any of these.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Diggerman,
    I was just going to make a post with the same questions. Thanks. My experience is with warehouse\manufacturing facilities with such little sidewalk work that I have never even owned a snowblower. I can get a downtown contract that is a post office, county administration & courthouses, & a police station that encompass 2 city blocks. The property manager is getting the prior contract & invoices for me to look at to decide whether to take the work. He told me the previous contractor used their riding ZTR mower with a broom on the front to clear most of the snow to the streets and stacking locations with great success, and they used a skid steer. He said they billed by the hour per worker and piece of equipment. I'm apprehensive about taking on this job and have the same questions. Any input from everyone is much appreciated.

3. diggerman

from Iowa

BRL looked at both trackless and holder today on the internet Holder has a pretty nice sized 45hp machine that seems to have some potential.I would like to run one.

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm setting up a Holder this fall. I'll have more input in a few months.

It's a used one, but at 30mph road speed and a myriad of attachments, the possibilities...

For now, it'll have a 48" V-Blade for city sidewalks.

5. diggerman

from Iowa

Lazer

Which one is it?

What are you using it on mostly?

How much are you going to charge?

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Forgive my ignorance guys. What is a Holder? A snowblower? Does anyone know of snoblowers to throw on the front of the Wright Stander mower? I know some of the other brands have attachments for their ZTR's, but I'm not sure if I would be able to interchange them with the Wright.

7. diggerman

from Iowa

BRL look at http://www.holder.on.ca ,iI am looking a maybe a multipark.As far as the snow blower to fit your mower I modified a wheel horse blower to fit ,my toro hydro. It works great