Sign Language???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AGG Lawn Maintenance, May 2, 2003.

1. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Does anyone other than myself use sign language to communicate with your guys. I mostly use it during fall clean up time. No my guys are not deaf. We just use our own sign language so that the flow of production runs smoothly. I often wounder what customers looking out their window were thinking when we do this. Lols Travis

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, all the time.

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

yes.....like you durning clean-ups

4. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

...but we often use (hopefully) subtle sign language to make sure that nobody misses any ATS (appealing transient scenery) of the jogger, dogwalker or sunbather type...don't you just love spring?

c'mon, you all look...

come to think of it, it probably reduces productivity...

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. We have a series of signs for different operations, and the guys are aold to keep an eye on the leader, as he is the one doing most of the communicating at different times. When they keep somewhat of an eye on him, it's kind of like "checking in".

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You definitely need to do this not only for productivity but also for safety. This way there are not any surprises and everyone know what is going to happen and what they need to do.

Gravely_Man

7. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Third finger from the left or right just kidding.

My wife took a class at the local school and now she has used it to gain a better position at her work. It has also helped me to gain a def customer. I'll tell you I'm thinking of taking the same class that way we can goof on our kids and neighbors. LOL

17:05 EST It's Happy Hour
    Have a great evening everyone.

8. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

Yep every once and awhile I take my son out on the last job of the day. little old lady down the street. he sits in the truck and watches as I zip by he gives me the thumbs up to mean" everthing is ok and no I dont have to go pee!" thumbs down means " I gotta go" and two thumbs down means " real bad".......kids...ya gotta love em.

9. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Too funny Turfguy. We do the blow the leaves in a pile sign. Broken belt sign, watch the tree branch sign, low on gas sign and last but not least watch the car,dog or person sign. We mainly need signs for clean up time. With all the blowers going to stop and talk takes away from our work.
    P.S. if anyone has some suggestions on signs let me know. We are always looking to keep up with the lastest signs. LoLs :confused: Travis

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I use alot of sign language when driving. :)

I do notice using some sign language when doing clean-ups. There is so much noise from the leaf vacuum and the blowers that you have to use sign language.