Sign lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by z064life, Oct 25, 2006.

1. z064life

z064life LawnSite Member

All, new to this so I need a little help.

I'm looking for a link to buy some outdoor lighting for some signs (brick). (Like those going into a neighborhood). The fixtures that are currently there come from the ground and light the sign from the front. There is a need/want to move to 2 lamps mounted on the sign itself. The fixures should be sealed and the bulbs should last "forever". The ones currently located there are 7 years old and going strong.

Also, any suggestions as to the brand of wire that is best for outdoor use (12 ga is required per local building codes). Also, nearly all the wire will be in conduit.

Budget: 4 lights and probably 200' of wire $2K (IE...give me the best) I figure each fixture will run $200-$300.

Thanks

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Here are some questions to answer:
    1. How big is the sign?
    2. What color is the sign?
    3. How do you plan on mounting the lights?
    4. What is your available power? Amps? Voltage?
    5. Are the lights to be mounted above or below the sign?
    This will help a lot.

3. z064life

z064life LawnSite Member

1) The signs (the part that needs to be illuminated) are 3' high X ~8' long
    2) The words are carved in limestone, surrounding that is red brick
    3) Lamps will be bolted to the sign (brick)
    4) 20amp circuit to power 4 bulbs (2/sign). 120V. Chit..on the budget...I need 8 lights total not 4. I have 2 circuits
    5) Lights will be mounted above

4. z064life

z064life LawnSite Member

bump......

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

are you an electrician to be messing with the line voltage ?

In this case pictures would be best because I dont understand where your planning to mount the lights above the sign. Usually I see lights from below unless there is some structure above then some plants in front to hide the lights and add appeal.

6. z064life

z064life LawnSite Member

Yes, the line voltage is fine.

The subdivision is having issues with the current fixtures being knocked over and wants them coming from the top now

X are the lights ~ is brick

X~~~~~~~~~X
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~SIGN~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

but where do you plan to mount the lights? is there an over hang ? is there something above it you can recess them into? did i miss something ? are you looking to put lights out on poles or something to downlight the sign ?

8. z064life

z064life LawnSite Member

I was thinking if they were just on a bracket, I would mount them straight to the brick. Then direct them to down on the ground at the middle of the sign.