Sign on back gate.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MudslinginFX4, Jan 30, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just had some signs made for the back of my trailers this week, they are metal and are 3feet by 4 feet aprox. How do you mount them on your trailer gates when the angle irron is facing out? I have never really had signs on my trailers before, just my trucks but I wanted to try something new. If anyone has pictures and can tell how they mounted them it would be great!

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen some guys with the metal signs on the back gates. I think they look really nice, the only problem is that you want your customers neighbors to call so you have to raise the gate everytime after you unload a mower.

But back to your question. Drill through the angle iron and put bolts and nuts through it. Paint the nut to look like the rest of the sign. This would be the most sturdy option that I can think of.

3. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bolts but...BE SHURE TO USE LOOK WASHERS OR NUTS or the vibration will make the nuts work lose and the sighn will fall off!!!!:blob4:

4. MudslinginFX4

Thanks Barkley and eric for replying.... the sign was going to be more for people riding behind me on the road instead of neighbors, I've still got lettering on my trucks for neighbors etc...

Also, the only problem with using nuts and bolts is the angle iron isn't the right way for that. It is vertical but its facing the wrong way. The best way for me to explain it is it's like looking at the side of a piece of paper... the width of it that is. (its prob. only about 1cm thick.

5. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh

well, get a pice of angle iron welded to the corners will the sighn will bolt on.

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you take a pic?

If the angle iron is like on most trailers you might be able to use a 2x4 to place up against the gate. That should make the sign flush with the back of the gate. Then put the bolt through the angle iron that is parallel to the sign, then through the wood and then through the sign. Hope that makes sense.

7. MudslinginFX4

That makes sense.... I will try to take a picture tomorrow. I was actually thinking the same thing you are.

8. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I made a frame for my signs with ¾” iron channel and cut a piece of ½” PT plywood to go behind the sign for strength. I then placed plexy glass over the sign, all of this fit inside the channel. I attached the frame to the back gate with 1½” angle welding the angle to the angle of the gate. Then welded the frames to that newly attach 1½” angle. I used the plywood to keep the wind from messing up the sign when driving 60-70 mph and provide additional strength. I welded the side signs on the wire box up front. I cut the corners at 45's and welded top, bottom and one side together making like a horse shoe, I then cut small pieces on angle iron the same width as the channel and welded them to the side I didn't weld together yet. I then drilled a hole through the angle iron into the channel of the horse shoe piece and tapped the channel so I could used a screw to attach the forth side of my frame where I could remove that side piece of channel where I could remove the sign if needed. I would show you a pic but don't have a dig cam. any longer.

Hope this helps,

P.S. Drill 3 or 4 weep holes in the bottom of the channel to allow the water to drain out and make sure you primer and paint after you drill the weep holes.

9. MudslinginFX4

Thanks littlenic!

10. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

Where did you get the metal sheets for them to do the signs on?

Josh