Sign Placement?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by WhiteLightning, Jul 13, 2006.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning LawnSite Member

Hey, I have purchased some yard signs for my company recently and I was wondering what the best place to put the signs were? I would like to put them were they can be seen and will not disappear immediately. What is the best place to put yard signs to help pull in business?

2. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

put them up only at locations that you are very proud and look great!

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Relly good advise. Bad placement is like throwing your money away. Utilize signs at high traffic areas. Get intersections, if possible. And pay the extra couple bucks for the double-sided signs if there is traffic in both directions. Make sure your phone # is visible for at least 3 seconds while doing the speed limit and use more than 1 color. The objective is to attract attention. People see an average of 150 signs on each trip out. Your sign has to draw their attention. You're looking for the "did you see that?" response.

4. WhiteLightning

Thanks, that is helpful information. I dont really have any commercial accounts that sit on corners. I am very small and just trying to grow a little. Would you ask permission for people on corners to put out your sign?? btw My signs are red with white letters and stand out very nicely.

5. Team-Green L&L

We offer the client 10% off the maintenance costs (during the time that the sign is up) and relocate signs frequently. Most sign's effectiveness is lost within 2 weeks because the traffic is 70% return traffic and do not read signs over and over. Commercial accounts are trickier because you have to sweeten the deal before they will allow you to use their props for ads. They know the potential profits. Hit your commercial props from August on. They do not wait until spring to sign like residentials do. Since you're new to the biz I'll throw this one out there. Signs suck! They do work, but you should focus on direct mailings. Get a list, from your auditor's website, of new homeowners and send them some high-quality mailings.

6. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

I would use them in you yard and maybe family members yards. Would you really like to see a sign in your yard everytime you pull in your driveway? I wouldnt but thats just my opinion.

7. WhiteLightning

I will be putting a sign in my yard and neighbors, cuz i knwo those signs will not disappear. I am also going to ask people permission to place it in their yards. I dont know how it is where you guys live, but here the people that back up to main streets, and dont live in a HOA, never maintain the grass between their fence and the street. I am going to ask them if i can mow it for free in exchange for putting my sign up for a week or two.

8. Team-Green L&L

That is an interesting approach, but I think it'll work.

9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Other than referrals, signs are our largest money maker!

A few things I've learned about using signs....

- Don't put them on the side of a road where cars drive by, no body is going to be able to read a yard sign when they're driving 45mph down the road.
    PUT THEM AT INTERSECTIONS OR STOP SIGNS where people actually stop and have time to read the sign and write down the name/number.

- Understand that when you put your signs out on street corners (best place!) It could be 2 hours or 2 weeks until somebody (who know's who!) trashes it.
    I've had some signs dissapear the next day and others have stayed at intersections for over 3 weeks!

- Signs are expensive, but they're a GREAT investment. Make sure your sign is an eye catcher! Make people WANT to call you!

10. WhiteLightning

Hopefully with these signs out there and this heat, I can pick up a yard or two.