sign, sign, everwherea sign

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ladibugg, Mar 3, 2002.

1. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

Is it good business to leave a sign in or near a yard you have a contract on, much like the building trades do? Should there be any kind of pay off to be able to leave a sign? Is there anyone who actually has it in the fine print of there contract...the right to advertise shall be ...or something like that? How about ten days per year a sign stays in the yard? Am I out of line thinking that because other contracters get away with it, we should too? Most of my customers seem willing to help me expand my market share, I just don't know how far they will go.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If I intalled a new lawn and landscape, I would consider it. I don't think I would otherwise. Just my .02

MATT

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We only install small site signs if client okays them and we only leave them on site for approx 2 weeks. We have one for installations and a second for maintenance programs. The latter is used more in early spring after mulching high visibility jobs, or if we're doing larger turf renovations in the fall.

Don't expect a lot of calls right away, but it puts your co's name in the public's head.

Bob

4. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i would like to get some of the small sighns like the ones that you see that advertise there security system . you could put them in there mail box bed and any one driving or walking would notice it.
    but the big sighns like realitors use is over kill and wouldnt look right in in any subdivision lawns.
    i would think that all customers wouldnt mind the small ones . but even i wouldnt want the big one in my yard.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yes on landscape installes a job sign is a must. In my area most hoods are deed restricked so no signs are allowed to stay after job is done. Only while work is being done. We have a small real estate 4 sale size sign that goes with us from job to job. It cost about $ 50 and has paid for its self many times over. Saturday I took delivery on a new Hualmark Kodia LS 7 x18 After the rhino liner is sprayed in on floor on Wednesday it will go to sign shop all 4 side. It will be a rolling billboard. The more you tell the more you sell.

ps. the pinto pulls fine :D

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I service a very pretty lawn (residential) that is on a busy street and the owner suggested that I put a sign there. I put up a small 'real estate' sized sign that featured my logo and telephone number and lo and behold I got several calls from it. Afyer separating the 'weed from the chaff' I got about 5 new "keeper" clients from that sign...before it was stolen. :rolleyes:

As the other signs (home for sale, home improvments, weight loss programs, ect) in the area were untouched I wonder if another LCO did it. <grrrr!>

I need to have some more signs made up. :D

7. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Like TURFDUDE says, we only leave signs at jobs while we are working (if a decent project) and only leave them there like maybe 2 weeks after the job is complete. I don't expect a lot of calls from it, but it gets your name out there..

8. Hobart

Hobart Banned
    from Canada!

...blocking up the scenery breaking my mind?

9. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

we leave signs only on installs, only while we are working at that particular site and only with client permission. dont know if it helps much though, most of our work comes from word of mouth referrals from previous or current clients. sometimes a satisfied cutomer telling a friend is all it takes to get some decent work coming in.

10. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully we all get customers like my neighbor. She had all of her windows replaced during the summer and she still has that sign out in her yard. I am planning on making some signs up this year for landscape installs, and maybe put a few at high traffic residential.