1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Signature series fert (stay-n vs. xcu)

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by inzane, Mar 13, 2014.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone use signature series fert before? i believe its from agrium. I'm looking at 24-0-5 ,They have this stay-n fert which i guess has some kind of nitrogen stabilizer, then polycoated xcu stuff. Its $2 per bag cheaper for the stay N. I know the xcu is gonna be a better.. However, not so sure about the stay-n and how it works.

I do 90% bermuda, and my 3 summer rounds are fertilizations which will be 5 to 6 weeks apart. I have been considering the stay N because of the cost. Just want some opinoins on those who have used both so i can get an idea what to expect. trying to make up my mind. :dizzy:
  2. inzane

anyone? I ordered a pallet of 24-0-5 2%FE 40%XCU . Seemed like a good way to go although not the cheaper route.
  3. ShaneW

ShaneW LawnSite Member

XCU is a true slow-release nitrogen source. Stay-N is basically worthless. It claims to act as a nitrogen stabilizer but university studies have shown no real difference between it and straight, untreated, urea. You made the right choice by spending the extra money.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

5. inzane

I've got 4 bags of the Stay-N in the garage. I'm gonna be using it on my lawn this year side by side with my neighbors lawns who will be getting the XCU. I'll have to take some pictures and see what difference is.
  6. inzane

I ended up using stay-n all year. just finishing up final fert rounds on bermuda. here are some pics of some of the yards I took care of this year using stay-n. Really no complaints on color except a few that don't water. I have been happy with this fert and the customer service from my rep as well. I was skeptical at first due to the lower price :drinkup:

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

My Agrium rep recommends XCU everytime, and I swear by it too. Been using it for many years. I like XCU with "prospect" (during spring & early summer) cuz it contains several micronutrients that improve color. Even if it's only 25% slow release, cuz higher slow release rates have not mattered for us, cuz we fertilize every 8 weeks or so. my 2 cents
  8. inzane

Well, don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say the stay-n is better. i'd like to go with the XCU next year so i can get something with iron. I've done fert apps through the summer every 4 to 6 weeks. Thats why i didn't feel like i needed the xcu. thanks for the advice too, i'll look into the xcu with prospect as well.
  9. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I usually use signature 24 0 5 or 32 3 8 from agrium for irrigated bermuda. I sometimes will get a ton or so of bulk 46 0 0 treated with stay n at the local feed center. I will use it in april on non irrigated acreages. After it gets hot, I switch to 43 0 0 100% xcu. To answer your original question, my customers really like the color and longevity of the 24 0 5
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

What are your limits if any for max N per 1,000 per year for you guys? Here in MD we can only apply .9lbs/1k of N on any given app and it has to have a minimum of 20% slow release. Max of 3lbs/k of N a year.