1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Signed Agreement Yet Customer "Refuses To pay for anymore..."

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sancho_man_orlando, Aug 28, 2007.

1. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

Rolled out of bed and my g/f was already upset about something...

get to my 1st house and my tire is flat, fill it up with slime and refill, handle the edging, trimming and mowing...

pull the blower out (read previous post about husqvarna blower) and it takes me 40 minutes to get the blower running long enough to blow the concrete surfaces.

This is a huge corner lot that I underbid at $28.50 per service x 40 services per year divided by $12... or $95 per month!

August 1st was my 1st cut and today was teh 5th of the month.

Customer calls and says times are tough and I can't afford to pay for lawn service.

I said sorry to hear that.

He says plus I don't like paying for crappy service!

What a jerk!

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

thats one thing im a bit confused about this business,why we have to perform the job first to get paid?
    like most of the service companies you pay then we do the service if you dont like it then we refund and end of story there,mechanics will not give you keys until you pay,fence builders get half of money upfront,tile installers get paid half upfront even if you provide the tiles,home alarms installers get paid before performing the job then why mowing cant be like that? pay upfront the month or week your gonna get the service.
    Im going to get in this business but Im going to try my best to get paid upfront either b4 unloading my mower off the trailer or if is an weekly or biweekly agreement then pay the weeks ahead.
  3. sancho_man_orlando

This customer prepaid for services for August.

I left the september invoice and that's when he called to say he wasn't going to pay for anymore services.

I get paid upfront or I don't work.
  4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless they know you, most people won't prepay, too many "fly by nighter's". payup

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

so should be also unless you know them you won't pre service.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

And most companies wont finance services free of charge with no credit approval. All people prepay here, not most.
  7. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

i have 37 accounts and all either prepay or pay when service is rendered, a couple will forget from time to time so i just leave a bill and they send it in, never had one yet say they wouldnt pay.
  8. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do they prepay by the week or month? payup
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

So it was a good day for you ?
  10. sancho_man_orlando

Yeah buddy...

I think it was.

I appreciate your posts.

I this and I that.