1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

signing a huge account need help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EPIC, Mar 24, 2006.

1. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

I flyered a door owned my a property manager i gave him an estimate of $4,700.00 a month i am about to sign thwe contract today or tommarrow and i was woundering if it is a bad idea to ask of about $1,000 up front to cover employees,gas etc. ? i just dont want to go in the hole the first moth and i have to little girls i have to make sure i have food on the table and a roof over our head .Oh and yea dora the explorer. Don't know what i would do if my girls didnt have that cartoon lol .
  2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you ask for money up front? And you never ask customers for cash in advance. you would look unproffessional and possibly give the idea that you are scamming them. Some of my larger accts we bill weekly just to make sure that they are going to pay, that way after 4 weeks they have bills and have no excuse not to pay it in time. they cant say they never got the bill, If you have to buy new eqpt for the job then its just a risk you ahve to take. Good Luck sounds like a great contract
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Ask it and you may be looking for another account.
  4. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

That's a good sized account right there. I would think twice about asking for money up front. As far as billing, I'm assuming that they are monthly right? Perhaps mention bi weekly to them at least that would help you off the ground. I'd be cautious about making any sudden movements though.. don't wanna give them a bad impression.
  5. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

bi weekly thats a good idea thanks
  6. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If your that bad off, take the contract to the bank and take out a 30 day note to cover the 1st month. But be sure and pay it back in the 30 days and no more. The only time I ask for money up front is when I'm doing a large landscape project. Good luck!
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do NOT ask for money up front! And do NOT mention a "bi-weekly" thing. They are NOT going to be wanting to pull their checkbook(s) out twice a month to pay a contractor. That would get old to them REAL FAST. It would give them all the mre reason to get someone else during changeover. If you don't have the capitol to keep these up, you may have to look at some alternatives like hustling your rear on some sidework to get some money up. In the meantime, you MAY be eating peanut butter and jelly for the first month.
  8. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

When i sign a contract for spring and summer work i set it up as april 1st they get the first bill, due by the 15th. Start the mulch/prune/edge and spring fert work on the 2nd or 3rd. That way shortly after work is completed the first check would roll in. Or another option would be to ask for payment upon completion. And then you'll only have to worry about being on a limb while the work is taking place. But yes if you ask for money in that dollar range up front....you might get the "guess you can't handle this size of account" response. Bit your lip, hammer out the work and then you'll be rockin and rollin before you know it. Congrats on the nice account though, good luck this spring.
  9. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

40,000 dollar contract from a flyer. Good grief what am I doing wrong.
  10. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh my thought exactly.:hammerhead: :hammerhead: