Signs in lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ashs inc, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Hey guys how many of you put some sort of signs in some of the yards you maintain. I currently maintain about 50 clients and some of them have told me i should have a sign in the yard. Does this type of advertising work for you? Also any one know any suppliers for cheap signs???

2. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Be aware that some HOA forbid signs like this and also some people get really irate when you leave a sign in their yard.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I hate them because they remind me to much of when election comes up.:realmad:

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

For landscape installs, yes I think there a good idea, but for regular mowing/maintenance, nah.

5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

geez, they cant hurt. if the customer wants em do it. ive been thinking about offering some sort of compensation for being able to put a sign in the yard .. mostly because of the high premium on yards so close together.

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

So true...

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Back when we were still trying to get established in our area, I used to do this a lot. At one time, I went out and put about 20 in a certain area od town where I wanted to get more accounts. Sometimes the customer would just allow me to place the signs in their yard indefinitely, at no cost to me. Other times the customers would only let me put the signs in their yard for a few weeks. Other times, I had to offer discounts to the customers. This was particularly lucrative for me in high-profile areas where it was a really nice landscape and their home was on a prominent high-traffic area. I would sometimes offer $10 off their service per month, as long as they let me keep a sign in their yard.

Was it effective? Yes. As part of an overall campaign to get our name out in the community it was VERY effective. But it wasn't just the signs that did it. At that same time, I had all of our trucks painted bright red with white lettering and logos. That really helped us stand out in traffic and in neighborhoods we were working in. And I also got matching uniforms, business cards, estimate forms, website, etc. So over that next year our company started to REALLY get noticed in the community. I used to get comments from new customers like this; "Wow. You're company is really growing. I have been seeing your signs and trucks around town like crazy lately. So I figure you guys must be doing something right."

Did we get calls and land accounts JUST from the signs? Yes. Occasionally. I wouldn't consider it a main source of solid leads or anything. But I know for sure we got several new accounts just from the signs.

I don't do it much anymore. Only because I haven't really been focusing on growing our maintenance division much bigger for several years. I've had about 170 regular accounts for over 5 years now and that's good enough for me. My time has been focused on growing our irrigation and landscape design / build part of our business. But I still consider these signs to be valuable. I still have a dozen or so out there in landscapes around town. But I just don't put much time into it anymore.

As for where to get them, just any local sign shop in town will do it for you. I get my signs, and the metal stands, for less than $5 each.

Sign 3.jpg

8. JimLewis

Ooops. That wasn't the picture I was trying to attach. Here's a close-up picture of one of our signs.....

sign3.jpg

9. MarksTLC

MarksTLC LawnSite Member

My $.02..... It seems like a great way to get your name advertised.
    Keep in mind, as someone else mentioned HOA, County, Township or borrough regulations pertaining to signage.

Ex: My township has a permit that they would love to sell you, if your sign is over a certain size. (bigger than a postage stamp LOL.) Borroughs can be tought too. Even if the customer wants it there. You may have to pay...

Just my opinion and local experience.

10. JimLewis

Yah, I have only run into one area of town where small signs like mine aren't allowed. And they let me know right away. I took them down right away.

I don't think it's necessary to research every area before you place a sign. Just be aware that if a code exists barring signage in front yards, yours may have to be removed. Just be prepared to say, "Oh. I am sorry. I didn't know. I'll remove it tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know." If you're willing to do that, I think you'd be fine. Nobody is going to fine you. They will just let you know and as long as you remove it they're happy.

But in my experience there are very few locales that have CCRs or codes against signage. In most places it will be just fine.