Signs of Hydro's going bad??

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Cutter1, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My 52 Laser has been running a bit rough. It seems to have a good bit of vibration in the handles. It sounds like it is grinding and whining. Just wondering if these are signs for a hydro going?? I know I should take it to the dealer, so I really don't want to hear that.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Grinding and Whining is BAD!! Vibrations can come from a number of sources (engine, blades, pulleys). Check your hydro belt, it can harden over the years and slip rather than grip. If its a fullsize La(z)er check hydro belt tensioner pivot-ability. Sometimes these freeze up from lack of proper greasing, or lack of grease at all! Its a tough one to get to, and if let go can prevent it from properly tensioning the belt, causing slippage and whinning. The grinding DOES sound bad! Get it to your dealer before you have to winch it on your trailer to get it there!

3. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a new belt and my laser is only a year old!! I always grease the hydro tensioner and your right it is a pain to get to. :)

4. jpzink

jpzink LawnSite Member

It is hard to tell with the description you gave, but here is a couple of suggestions.

1) When you change the blades do you have them balanced. Out of balance blades are the cuplrit of most vibration. Even new ones can be out of balance.

2) Is the grind and whine you hear coming from the deck. If so the Spindle bearings may be bad. These bearing assemblies carry a three year limited warranty. 1st year parts and labor, 2nd and 3rd parts only.

If it the pumps you hear, that is a different story, but it should not cause the vibration. Now you are armed, see a local Turf Star Dealer who will be happy to help you.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Cutter1

TLS and jpzink have both given some good ideas/advice. Whining normally means that the hydro-system is not getting the fluid needed to perform what has been asked of it by the operator. The two biggest culprits of this are going to be either air in the system, or restriction. Both of these are most likely going to relate to the same component, the hydro-filter. I would think that if it is air in the system, you may have just replaced the filter, and have not gotten all the air purged out, or have, and now are a little low on fluid. I would look in the resevoir tank and first make sure that the fluid is up to the baffle, and that it is transparent. If it looks milky or has small bubbles in it, this would be indicative of air in the system. I would look at the hydro filter to ensure it is tight and not drawing any air into the system. The best way to purge the air out is to lift the machine up and cycle the handles back and forth at full speed until you see that the fluid in the resevoir is transparent, or absent of bubbles or a milky look. If you haven't changed the hydro filter yet, it's probably time. We state that you should change the filter after the first 250hrs, and then annually there after. My recommendation would be that with any service item that states an hour interval that you don't meet within a year, you make an annual maintenance.
    Grinding is another story. If you do hear grinding coming from the hydro's, take it to your dealer (I know you didn't want to hear that, but that's the best advice I can give).
    The only reasons I can think of that the hydro would cause vibration is if either a sheave is damaged, a sheave has debris built up in the groove, or the idler arm is hanging up. Like the previous posts stated, it's much more likelier that something with the deck (blades, belts, sheaves) will be the cause of the vibration.
    In short, the answer to your question is yes, it could be signs that a hydro is failing. At the same time you didn't state that it seemed to be weak on one side or the other, which makes me think that it's not a hydro situation, but something else.
    If you have any more specifics, or questions, don't hesitate to email me at service@exmark.com, and we'll take a deeper look into it.

Thanks,
    Lenny

6. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I would check the insides of the v pullies real good,had sticks jamb in them 4 times this year made the thing shake ,motor sounded like it was rapping amazing what it can due to the balance of a pulley