Signs or decals on your company truck for advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by abryconlawn, Feb 4, 2007.

1. abryconlawn

abryconlawn LawnSite Member

Got a question about putting signs or decals on your company truck for advertising. Do you guys think having decals on both sides of the truck is just enough or, would you put another decal on the back tailgate for people to see that are behind you? Also, if you have any other helpful hints about advertising on your company truck. Thanks.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i personally like the tailgate decals they looks really professional and my next personal truck will only have a tailgate decal and nothing else

3. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

Are you jsut starting out? I use custom designed magnetic signs I have on both sides of my truck. My tailgate has a GMC emblem keeping me from putting one back there but if it didn't I'd put one back there too. I have only been doing this for 2 years...I'm 18...so magnetic signs were the best for me cuz they only were like $75 and they look sweet! If you've going full time and you've got the $ though get actual decals.

4. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

I'm getting decals, and magnetic signs made for $125, the decals are my logo, and the signs are for sub contracting for my buddy to cover my logo with his logo when I do his accounts. $125 covers both doors and the tailgate. I think decals look more professional.

5. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

i have a guy that does magnetic sings for 25 a pair and also any other vinyl letterings you want. He also Make my shirts for a good price let me know.

6. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

The tailgate is the best place on your truck for advertising. Just think when you drive by somebody going 40 MPH they see your door for what, 5 seconds? However when you are in front of somebody on the road and they are driving behind you, how long are they looking at your tailgate for? As long as they are behind you.

7. abryconlawn

abryconlawn LawnSite Member

I've been doing it for two years now. Been talking with people and they said that this along with word of mouth is the best advertising.

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have magnetic signs for the pickup. It is my only vehicle, so I only put them on when needed.

When I meet a customer for the first time (usually for price estimate) I put the signs on both doors. So when they see me pull up they feel comfortable that I am a "pro". Otherwise, my shiny black truck doesn't look like a work truck.

When I work, I prefer to put one on the tailgate so drivers behind me in traffic will see it. I also have a large permanent aluminum sign on the trailer ramp gate.

9. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

I figure leave them on all of the time the more people see your name the more they remember it. I only have 1 truck also but I also want to put my name out there as much as possible

10. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

i work in the signage industry full time....
    there are a few things you should look out for when buying...
    magnetic sheeting...different mill thickness=more/less $ higher the mill higher the $
    if vinyl is used.... there are inexpensive, moderate, and costly grades of film.
    the higher priced film is 3M for example and will last a long time. the inexpensive film is used for short term mostly.
    your sign shop will tell you anything you need to know. ask them the mill size of the mag and the life time of the film, if its vinyl.
    screen printing on mag seems to be what i see most.

and i know paint last long than stickers so im having an alum. sign painted right now for the trailor gate.

hope this helps